Steering box

Just got off the phone with the Parts Place and the guy told me it is a direct bolt on exchange. With all the talk about having to change rag joints and fittings I still wonder. Has anyone bought one of these boxes from the Parts Place? Just wanting to be sure I have all the parts  before I take my car to the shop to have this change done. Thanks in advance. 

Did you ask them how 'quick' the quick ratio is?

Since this is a 1976 box casting, I would think it would be compatible with the non-metric power steering hoses.

All I can say is beware of AGR Performance stuff.

I installed their 12:1 Resto steering box (Summit p/n 492117) and "High Performance" power steering pump (Summit p/n AGR-806324).

After I got the car on the road the power steering pump started leaking and howling like a very unhappy cat.

I called Summit but it was past the 90 day warranty.

AGR said they'd rebuild it for around $100 including shipping with about 1 week turnaround.

Finally got it back a month later.

Damn thing had blasting media in it and a badly chewed up shaft.

Long story short, had to buy another pump from elsewhere.

Been fighting these idiots to get my rebuild money back for over three months.

Will be contacting Better Business Bureau, Summit, and possibly Texas AG.

If you go to BB site, they have a F rating, lots of complaints.

Supposedly they were the go-to-guys right before I did my car, then they were bought out and went downhill.

At one time one of the previous owners of my 72 changed out the steering box and unless I go around a pretty sharp corner I have to manually shut off the signal. The arms do not go far enough to get past the cam to do it automatically.

Replaced my box with one out of an 87 Monte SS that was hit in rear.  It looks identical to my original steering box in looks (important to me).  Rather than a straight __ to 1 ratio,  I believe these are progressive.  Meaning the ratio increases the more you turn the wheel.  Big difference over the original.  Likely all performance G bodies same (Grand National, 442, Monte SS)

As stated ... I simply needed to get a hybrid rag joint (different bolt pattern on each side) and the simple drop in fittings for the two hose connections which allow you to utilize original lines.

Dan

I can recommend, from experience on 3 other Chevys, using an 81 Camaro Z-28 Box. Drops right in.

If I'm not mistaken, this box will widen your turn radius.  I had put one in my 70 years ago and took it back out because of this.