Quick question about Air shocks

Mfoge5

Ok i have a quick question about Monroe air shocks   Ive searched and couldnt find an answer no thatnks to Monroes support and crappy website so im here cuz you guysz rock and have gotten me outta many situations already with your info and answers... Ok Recently picked up a 70 Monte and its been sitting tilted so I figured lets change the springs and shocks since they are probably original.  I get under there to find that it already has air shocks on it. I knew it had new ex. pipes front to back but what happened was the exhaust bend that swoops over the rear end goes directly infront of the valve on the shocks so there were no lines fill valve etc.  I have the kit to install the lines but on one side its gonna be tight and will most likely be on the exhaust which of course is NO K  this is becuz clearance is minimal 1" or less on both sides...  so is there a 90 degree fitting i could get or can i switch the rear shocks and have thre valve pointing opposite direcxtion.. I knw the install man. says to install w/ valve facing towards center of vehicle but is that mandatory or only for easy of routing the tee and airline??? Now ive tried to find an answer and couldnt get a definite and fronm looking at the shocks themselvesthey are symetrical correct?? the only distinguishing factor is the fill valve, so if switched would i be ok???

actually i went and looked at the shocks and they are the same.. the valve is centreline and perpendicular to the direction of the mounting pin so no need to switch them right just spin them 180????? any known clearance issues or problems id face?? Im just looking to see if this is a doable remedy or not? from someone whos been under a car (and basically my car)before and not sitting behind a desk reading the protocol answer provided which still doesnt answer the question.. Thanks in advance and Im sure i made this longer than necessary but maybe im venting indirectly since I feel this shouldnt be too hard to get an answer to from the actual manufacturer and couldnt so i turn to where i shouldve started in the begining... thanks guys

any more info needed lmk.....M

Ok just thought of this... hook up the airline which is possible as is, it just couldnt stay permanently, fill, and remove...... i think i answered my own issue but please if im wrong or you know of anything easier or better please feel free to say something cuz my frustation is growing and perspective is shrinking  so I just may be overlooking the obvious by now....lol thanks

If I'm following you correctly the line for the air shocks is against the tail pipes. If the air shock valve is towards the rear end the your tail pipes are run in the wrong spot as it should be towards the frame. I know the air shocks I've used in the past said to keep away from heat and moving parts. If you swap the shocks away this will put the line in a different location.

Matt, I have Monroe Max-Air shocks on my '70 SS.  They currently have air lines that are tee'd together and terminate just in front of the rear bumper in a schrader valve which I use to adjust the pressure.  The air line connectors on the both shocks point directly toward the centerline of the car.  My car has stock exhaust pipes which are routed about 3 1/2'" inboard of each shock.  That allows plenty of room to connect air lines which are routed with a full inch or more of clearance from the exhaust pipe.

It sounds to me like the routing of your aftermarket exhaust pipes is too close to the air shocks to permanently attach those black plastic air lines at least in their current orientation.  I see absolutely no reason why you could not flip each shock 180 degrees as you suggest to orient the connectors directly away from the exhaust pipes.  Why not give it a try?

Awesome thanks for the info.. I was surprised when i got under there finally and saw the super

sweeping up and over the exhaust doesz over the reare end,.,,  it literally goes almost vertical and then U's and almost vertical back down and I guess it was the last thing before they sold it cuz its still new and so i guess they filled the shocks and did the exhaust and sold it... no worries thoughthe price was well worth it... So as it sits the pipes run 1" or less in front of the fill valve on thew shocks so I will give the spin 180 a shot and see where im at and let you guys know.. I just didnt want to do it and be overlooking something common orsimple  focusing on the problem only.. BIG Thank you to Monte70car and MCfan you both have been helpful on so many other occasionshelping others so I didnt even have to post... you guys rock!!!!

Heere she is I just got these 17" rims in a trade for an old laptop i wasnt using I paid $40 for  I had to buy adapters but i think they look alright... thanks again guys

post-2341-0-84667200-1444791745_thumb.jpg

Also to you guys... first Monte70car if those pics are b4 and after then youre my idol and thats where im trying to go and MCfan if either one of those 2 beautiful girls arent busy Im asking for your blessing to marry.....lol      Badasss rides my friends..!!!!!

Monte70car is blessed to have 2 cars cruiser and a prostreet build..and a nomad...ys you can stop drooling now

Thanks Matt as Boots stated those are two different cars, and yes there is a Nomad in the collection along with an El Camino. As for your Monte on the 17's I would for go the air shocks and run regular shocks on it (I like the low look on our Monte). Years ago I had 16" chrome rally wheels on my with lowering springs and KYB shocks real nice level look and rode great. I have since went back to 15" but kept the level look. Here is some before and current pictures of the rides. 70 fall of 1995 SAVE0001.jpg  fall of 2013 show007_zps1c8cedc6.jpg 72 spring 2014 build001_zpsadfb30fc.jpg Spring 2015 03222015%20003_zps9f5gnk8o.jpg

Nomad the person in the car is my 18 year old niecechevelleandnomad010.jpg  after 001-10-1.jpg

El Camino SAVE0007.jpg and current photo_4_zps1f086d78.jpg