71SS to Frame and back again to 71SS

LS5

Rob

I am doing it on my back with a putty knife and a heat gun. It will all be worth it in the end. I will post some pictures this week on my post in the SS454 section.

Joe

• Like 1

Both of those parts (Clutch Fan) (Steering Rag Joint) were painted by brush. Dries with no paint brush marks so real nice.

Same way Rob I will be flat on my back with a scrapper and heat gun and facesheild as I hjate chewing on rust flakes... hahaha

Darren.

• 1 month later...

well while waiting for parts to come in and with the christmas slow down on delivery times I jumped to restoring the OEM parts and then looking to see if the other parts were OEM as well and sure enough its all Date Coded and OE. I will keep the OEM stuff and just restore them as some parts I have already done. seems as if everything is numbers matching and dated correct still. I had no doubt as Ken seemed to be such a straight shooter.

Darren.

20160102_134317_zpsyfpyzdma.jpg

20160102_134117_zps3fbi1taw.jpg

20160102_134105_zps8rmjd2cq.jpg

20160102_134052_zpsoj5knitu.jpg

20160102_134046_zpsdnpdblkj.jpg

20160102_140426_zpsjkotq3fw.jpg

20160102_132223_zpsc2siwrr4.jpg

20160102_134644_zpsmt59nwom.jpg

20160102_134706_zpsn28rzebn.jpg

20160102_134845_zpsfsw5b3ji.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Wow, Time has flown by, but not all fun as some of you know that are not only on the site that see me. First Donny its all painted by brush...

Now it's been 11 months... I ran into more kidney issues yet again and along the way to figuring out where my pain was coming from an why and also why I was having heavy scaring in my lungs and calcified Granuloma show up.... long and short. To go with my Chronic Kidney Disease I also have Pancreatitis which I am told goes hand in hand with Kidney disease and Dr's not surprised it showed up along with Chronic Granulomas Disease. without going into the Oxford dictionary for a full explanation I have been dealing with lots of pain and high BP on top of a botch Laproscopic surgery that has left me with non repairible Nerve damage in my stomach so no lifting so they say and trust me I have tried and suffered.

Anyhow in my good days that I got here and there out of 11 months here is an update for you guys. The whole complete rolling chassis is now all back together and every single piece or nut and bolt was replaced and oem parts rebuilt and nos added. I even managed to find an original Firestone matching Spare tire never used ....

Darren

IMG_0891_zpssteodwfk.jpg

IMG_1616_zpscx9dsqir.jpg

IMG_1615_zpssa1ihf4h.jpg

IMG_1614_zpsy2vkq7br.jpg

IMG_1560_zpsbb9ul0ov.jpg

IMG_1559_zpshlwrls7i.jpg

IMG_1532_zpskyiixz7n.jpg

IMG_1455_zpss3awshqw.jpg

IMG_1454_zpsbxjz4yw1.jpg

IMG_1451_zps7xzwkexb.jpg

I couldn't do that being healthy. Great job and thanks for sharing. I had a hard time getting my wiper motor back on. 1 grommet was just a hair off not allowing me to start the 3rd bolt.

A work of art Darren....a work of art! You certainly know what you are doing. I hope your health issues subside and that your good days out number the painful days. We love the photos so please post as you progress. :)

Your work and attention to detail is incredible, Darren!  Gotta believe you would enjoy it even more if your health was better ... hope you see some improvement soon.  

Are the heat shield and thermal insulation gasket on top of your intake manifold stock items?  I don't believe my stock '70 SS has either.

Hi Dennis, It wasn't stock on my SS but you could get them Dealer Installed. I had one on my 1970 chevelle ss the Gobi Beige one, it was factory installed on the 454 and really helped keeping the heat from the intake from warming up in the stainless fuel line thus making it runs smother in the heat. The last Western Meet I went to in Penticton BC it was 104 degree's for 2 days and I had one I put on my 402 4spd monte and it ran very well with no hesitations and smooth driving. This one I installed was an NOS one with the GM blue and white envelope and Dealership stamp on it. The GM part number can be seen opposite the firing order.

IMG_1647_zpszckm8c57.jpg

Darren