Help! Power Window Problems

Stick

Recently one of the rear windows stopped working and now the driver window is slowing down. It’s half the speed of the passenger window. Any ideas to what may be going on. I’m thinking the switches are going bad. What should I check first? Thanks for any input.

------------------

a>

I say start with greasing up the tracks a bit, if water has gotten down there it could of caused the grease to get diluted enough to make the window slow. I had a problem with manual windows and all i did was grease up the tracks and they were fine.

------------------

Chevy_anim_drkgreen.gif1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Chevy_anim_drkgreen.gif

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

If the grease does not help as Pete suggested, which is a good idea either way. I would say the electric window motors are going bad. The switch just turns power off and on it does not regulate current. If you are a mechanically inclined you can pull the motor out and try to either rebuild it, or have an electrical guy do it or shop around for new motors. After you grease them you may want to leave the door panels off and test it so you do not have to take them off again as the cardboard that hold the clips on is 30+ years old. And as I was told, you want to make sure the plastic gets put back on the door to keep moisture off the door panel.

P.S. get a cheap test light and test both side of the switch for current, then hold the switch in the power position and re test both sides should light the test light when the switch is in the power position. If you do not get power to either side you have a short somewhere. Oh yes turn on key to do the test. If your car still has points do test while engine running so you do not burn your points.

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

graphic_org_pub.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

[This message has been edited by ADGTRUNKLID (edited 02-09-2003).]

• 1 month later...

stick, if greasing the tracks doesn't work.and it probably won't for the rear one that quit, you can remove the motor and clean the gears inside. re-grease and re-assemble. while motor is out you can check operation with a battery or battery charger. put negative lead to case of motor and touch positive lead to each terminal one at a time.motor should turn one way with one terminal, and the other way when touched to the other terminal, if motor is good. also the stud with the slot in it that has a nut on it that sticks out of the gear end of motor assembly is used to adjust the speed the motor turns at. hope this helps. rodney

------------------

0SADeAkEW9D3cXbVMCAuF2zrH7ZXcCqh**Kqjd3hwSqhwkBlaQ4oiInsztiqvj6Uh!6ZYstSLDCSyH6lbaWCfIG1KaoWa*7N8oS8IhyFI7D1DAAAAcXJbAg