TRANSMISSION - tranny mystery

my 72 sits out in the back yard. i drive it around the yard about once a week. it has NO BRAKES. anyway, the other day i noticed that the tranny is slipping. this got worse today when i tried to drive it around the yard i had to go backwards HAHA, so i can feel the car shift into drive but it wont catch and revs up. my question is, how can the transmission be perfect and then just die just by sitting in the yard and driving around the yard once a week. anybody want to sell me a 4 spd. manual around SC?

Well, seeing as though a 4 speed *probably* isn't going to fall out of the sky, go ahead and pull the transmission pan and check to see if the filter is clogged. That may be your problem. If that's not it, then you are probably about due for a rebuild and I don't know why it doesn't work all of the sudden............

-Joe

The trans filter probably needs to be changed. GM automatic trans behave this way when filter is clogged.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yesterday evening and I started and this morning i finished up changing the filter and fluid on the transmission on my 72 project. Still will not catch in drive. slips and slips. I was hoping the tranny was still good so that I could sell it for a decent price. I'm getting a 4-spd manual for it in just a couple of weeks from dan felker. Anyone want a 350auto that needs rebuild?

------------------

"Give me performance or give me death" Patrick Henry

Kevin, Alot of times the front pump seal gets hard and won't allow fluid to get to the foward clutches. I have had this happen before.

I met a guy about a month ago who has peddle sets for chevells. I bought one but cant remember what i paid. He wanted like 30 or 40 bucks. I dont see those that often so i bought one. I assume it is the same as the monte carlo. He has other ones there if you need anything. Monte.

the trans came out of a 68 or 69 chevelle and it comes complete with the entire tranny with bellhousing, z-bar, shifter with knob and everything.... and its a great price 250.00 for it and it is confirmed that it is a good strong running tranny. Its a borg-warner 4 spd and its from the early 60's.. I think some of the problems I am worried about is that I simply do not know anything about hooking the clutch pedal to the tranny. also i'm not sure if my 350auto flywheel will work with this manual 4spd. any of you guys know?

------------------

kevin your going to need a flywheel for as the auto one wont work.as for the clutch linkage i would buy a kit from year one or a place like that.that way you know you have every thing you need.im sure you will have to cut a one in the firewall so you can pass the petel ling though to the Z bar.but one thing to watch is that the frame mount for the Z bar is not the same for a chevelle its longer.a chevelle one wont work you need to get the right mount or your Z bar will be off i know a plce that has them i just need to find there number.hope this helps ya chris

hey chris. the transmission includes the longer z bar because the guy i bought it from was planning to put it in a monte. Where can i get a flywheel for a REASONABLE price? Everytime I call a local autozone or chain store like that, they tell me they do not carry manual transmission parts. frown.gif

I'm sure I'll have more questions when i get the thing home.

------------------

hiya Kevin sounds like a lot of fun coming your way when you go shopping for flywheel they come in a couple different sizes . also youll need to know if engine is 86 up or pre 86 the flywheel has different size bolt pattern for crankshaft . another thing is if you are running a 400s/b thats another flywheel because of external balancing . so hope this helps you out . mike

keven try carquest that who i work for the part number is a fa100 i thnk but i will check tommrow at work and give the part number it goes for about 100.00 or so.just dont hold me to that number after years and years of remebering numbers you start to your lose your mind a little.also its just one flywheel for the 283-350 eng and it take both the 101/2 inch clutch and the 11inch clutch.chris

When converting a Monte to a clucth, gotta watch out for the pedals that are out there cause there is 2 sets for '68-'72 GM A bodies. There is the Chevy/Olds/GMC and the Buick/Pontiac. The right ones are held in like the auto pedals with a clip on the pivit shaft, as the other set uses a bolt to pivit on. You can get the new pedals from just about all the resto places. The pedal hanger bracket is the same for manual and auto cars, and don't forget about the rubber stop for the clutch pedal that fits on the hanger. I have found this all out the hard way converting the '72 to a 4 speed. Just keep in mind,if it fits the Chevelle, it fits the Monte (except for the 'Z'bar frame bracket.) And the fact that a 4 speed in a bench car looks really cooland gets that extra second look.

Dont know about the Borg Warner but with M21 I had to modify the cross member for the rear tranny mount. The mount for the Z bar I made, then removed the inner fender and welded it to the frame. Good luck. Fred.

There shouldn't be really any reason to modify a tranny crossmember to convert unless you are using a factory Muncie shifter. That shifter bolted to a bracket welded to the crossmember instead of the tranny. I would not recomend using one as they bind as the drive line moves and the rods bend. I have a M20 Saginaw, which bolted right in like a Muncie and a Richmond (aka B/W T10)

I have done a few. The chevelle frame mount will work if you extend both fingers about 1.5". The flywheel will need to be determined after you have the bellhousing. There is either a 10.5" or 11". The 10.5" will fit the 11" bellhousing but not vice-versa. I did not have to ever modify the crossmember with the 4-speeds. Driveshaft should be same as the 350 turbo.

Now if you want a real challenge, swap over to the Borg Warner T56 6 speed. A lot of modifying/converting involved, especially with a two piece rear main seal 454 that was never manufactured with the tranny.

Tom