Battery tray support bracket

I did some searching here and found out I am missing the battery tray support bracket. That looks like this:

https://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/KR20066/

Does anyone have a picture of how this bracket mounts to the car?  I keep reading referneces to it bolting onto the inner fender.  My PS plastic inner fender is all broken and missing under the battery tray so I think that is where this bracket must bolt to?

Thank you.

Mine too has dissolved before I purchased my car.  I found a very thick plastic battery tray that I am trying to mount and hold the battery up, but when the plastic heats up(I live in Fresno, CA), the battery's weight makes the plastic sag, so I will have to have a support like that too.  But with the current corrosion cleanup I've done, the bracket will have to be a bit taller(getting tired of using cable ties to set my battery where I want it, lol).  First thing to look for is to see if the holes are still useable in the frame where it mounts, probably fab your own if you can.

The support bracket does mount to the inner fender to help support the battery tray. The battery tray also mounts to the radiator support as well. What a few of us have done is change out the plastic inner fenders for the metal style where that bracket is not needed. Another item I would keep in mind is to shop around for items I find OPGI to be higher price then the other vendors. Also we do have a few club members that have used parts that the sell.

Thanks for the replies and the link.  Does anyone have a picture of the bracket installed?  I am trying to visualize where it goes. 

Currently my battery tray is only bolted to the core support, and I have struck 3 bricks under it to hold up the battery while I have been working on the car.

I have read multiple times how the chevelle inner fenders will swap into the 1st gen monte.  Is there some kind of inner fender extension at the front to make up the length difference?   I need to look at the DS of the car to see, it is still intact.

Thanks again.

I think mine still retains all the brackets and clamps. Under one of the clamps even one of the rubber goromets is stamped "chevrolet" and a part number is listed. It looks like it supports the battery tray. It looks very original.I'm not sure if this is what is being discussed here as the part is unique. I'll send some pics

post-1123-0-80511700-1446920173_thumb.jpg

post-1123-0-10977100-1446920199_thumb.jpg

post-1123-0-47379400-1446920229_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back.

I am now ready to replace the PS inner fender with a metal one. Plastic one is shot.

Any suggestions on which company has the best quality? Or which has the best price?

I am going to start searching tonight.

Bringing this thread back.

I am now ready to replace the PS inner fender with a metal one. Plastic one is shot.

Any suggestions on which company has the best quality? Or which has the best price?

I am going to start searching tonight.

The original plastic inner fenders were very stiff and brittle so they cracked and broke easily.  The replacement plastic inner fenders from The Parts Place (part number BP1056M - $229 a pair) are tough, flexible and durable.  I replaced the original busted up plastic pair on my '70 4-speed with a new pair from The Parts Place six years ago and have been very pleased with them.  

Removal and installation is so much easier than the steel inner fenders that a prior owner installed in my '70 SS.  Unlike the steel units which are designed for a Chevelle and have a larger A-arm opening, the Parts Place plastic units are designed specifically for the Monte Carlo as a direct factory replacement, including the correct smaller A-arm opening.

You may have good reasons for wanting steel inner fenders, but the new plastic fenders (at least the ones from Parts Place Inc,) perform much better than the factory originals yet look very much like them.  Like the originals, they never need painting and clean up easily.  

I removed and refurbished the steel (Chevelle) inner fenders in my '70 SS and it was a major PITA.  I steel-wheel brushed old undercoating and some surface rust down to bare metal then painted the undersides with black satin Chassis Saver (like POR-15) and the top sides with black semi-gloss. I also installed new A-arm dust shields (larger size required). They look better, of course, but my plastic set looks even better and requires almost no effort to keep clean and rust-free.

Here's a photo of the plastic set with the stock-sized A-arm shields installed with black plastic trim fasteners:

post-567-0-20110500-1484099131_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo that shows how much larger the steel fender A-arm openings are than a stock dust shield:

post-567-0-80320900-1484100638_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-95265800-1484099449_thumb.jpg

Here's a size comparison of the two dust shields, their suppliers and a couple of fastener options:

post-567-0-57089300-1484099790_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-48479300-1484099902_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-21320100-1484099922_thumb.jpg

These photos are of a refurbished steel inner fender with a the larger A-arm dust shield installed with steel staples:

post-567-0-98840400-1484100146_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-42138100-1484101984_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-91895700-1484100839_thumb.jpg

If you go with steel inner fenders, be prepared to use some serious persuasion to get them in place properly.

post-567-0-75410800-1484100984_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-86926900-1484101014_thumb.jpg

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

• 1 month later...

Just posting a followup for everyone. I went with an inner fender from AMD on the passengerside. It fit very very well. Only one hole didn't line up perfectly. I was suprised due to age of car and poor alignment of front sheet metal.

It was missing one bolt hole for the plastic piece that fills the underside gap between the bottom of inner fender and bottom of firewall.

I purchased a hardware kit on ebay. I think made by inline tube. Now I have lots of left over bolts for future projects.

Found a bunch of loose bolts and sheet metal brackets under the car that I was able to tighten up. Majority of the rattles are gone now.