Question on tie rods

ejw71

A 4 piece set of '70 tie-rods are approximately $72 less than '71-'72s. Are the interference fit angles between tie-rods and their corresponding holes on the spindle arms and the centerlink different between '70 and '71-'72? If so, this would explain why '70 and '71-'72 aren't interchangeable. If not, I'm at a lost to determine a reason why '70 tie-rods couldn't be used on '71-'72s. Thanks, Ed

ed, first i thought you must be wrong so i looked it up in my (1981)chevy catalog. chevelle/monte used the same set up from 64-70 and then switched in 71.i checked gm numbers on control arms ,drag links,idler arms and pitmans. and those were all the same numbers. i would think if you replaced all 4 including sleeves you would be ok. gene

Gene, Thanks for your idea. But, being able to do what you suggested implies the interference fit angles between tie-rod ends and attachment holes in spindle arm and centerlink are the same for all three years. This I believe is incorrect. However, if I'm incorrect then what is/are the differences between '70 and '71-'72 tie-rods. It could be the sleeves having a different thread? Maybe. Ed

here is your answer from a guy a few folks downed in my earlier posts i have 316 of first gen. monte`s in stock in my salvage yard i have done been down the same road you are about to follow!!! as far as working difference there is none if you are restoring a 70 back to orgional specs this is the difference 70`s have six more threads in the sleves (female end) as weel as male end also 70`s have grease inseart installed at a 90 degree angle which differ from a 71 after doing research my self on this same subjuct a few years back i also found that towards the begining of 1971 calander year the dept. of transportation begin passing goverment regulations on gm and chrysler & ford products obtain and design a stronger suspension in 1971 due to heaver volume of traffic on u.s highways so that is how the different part numbers come into effect yes they will work 70-72 i sell tire rods all the time to the dirt track boys that runs imca cars with chevelle stubs under them 68-72 is all the same !!! just trying to pass on hoenst learned advice jason barnett searcy arkansas

i bet you never thought there were that many of them in one sopt in the state of arkansas did you!!!! i will send you some pics there is no way ican get them all in pics buti will send you a few rows of them

Gene, Upon re-reading your post I have a question. Are you saying that the '70-'72 drag link, pitman arm and idle arm have the same part numbers? If so, I agree with your solution and my first response was incorrect.

Jason, Thanks for the info. So, '71-'72 inner/outer tie rods are stronger. Guess the connecting sleeves are likewise? Would be worth $72 more for '71-'72s, unless the same ones are being sold as '70s at the '70s price. Thanks again, Ed

i just finished a frame up resto. for the president of affilated foods here in ar. his dad bought car new in 70 i purchased 71.72 rods and sleves from my local chevrolet dealership (you would be amazed the parts they can still get ) they still have every old parts book most dealerships done threw them out i chooese to get em from those folks to try to stay away from that after market crap nodody will ever know unless they take your tire rod asy. apart at a car show or club meet i really doubt that will happen!!!!!!! i will have five lots of a body and monte sruff at petti jean swap meet next june if you are there look me up i will have some rods with me you can see the difference sombody from up in the northern corner of the state bought some monte parts from me at petti jean last year i can`t temmeber the guys name but he gave me card i think the card was some local monte carlo club up there or somthing i saw your ride at branson 2003 i think that was my black70 ss chevelle with the 18 inch torque thrusts on it at the shepard of the hills car show

Jason, Yea, I was at the Shepard show. The FGMCC had their 2003 annual meet there. How lucky can I be, 100 miles from my house. It'll never happen again. The 2004 FGMCC meet will be at the Woodward Dream Cruise and I'm taking the '71. Sent you an email about fenders and a hood for my project 71. Have never been to the Petti Jean swap meet, will try to go this year. If you come across that guy's card and it's a Monte Club please let me know. I've been thinking about starting an Arkansas Monte Carlo/Impala club. Ed

man you are missing out it is loaded with pre 72 gm parts i talking big time i always take three trailers packed full of a body stuff i sold 3 twelve bolts 5 sets of disc brakes 1 elect window set ups lots of other a body parts you have to check it out!!!!!!! it`s awesume lots os new and used parts there + car corral and car show do you got any stuff you want to sell???????

ed, my 1981 chevy parts catalog shows the same part numbers for drag link, pitman,control arms 1970-72.only the tie rods used differant numbers 71-72. gene

Jason has explained why tie roda are different. Gene's determing that other steering components have common psrt numbers means the interference fit angles between tie rod ends and their mating holes are the same for '70-'72. So, once again, the FGMCC site has answered my question. Thanks, Ed