Overtightening lug nuts...

astrochimp

on another forum, there's a discussion on overtightening lugnuts causes the brake ROTOR to warp.

If the rotor is sandwiched between the wheel and the spindle and there is ALOT of torque on all the lugnuts but equal.

Where does the WARPING come into play??

The only answer so far is 'I just know it does because many mechanics have told me so'

The warping comes into play with the newer cars that have tin thin rotors.

------------------

1944 GPW Army Jeep

1964 Buick Riviera- Still For Sale

1970 Monte Carlo

1977 M882

page.jpg

Normally the warping will come form being not torqued down in sequence or not being torqued equal. Or if you would have a bad habit of outbraking other people so you can get ahead of them at the next light,(not that I know anyone who would) overheating will cause this as well.

I do agree with Bob that the newer thin rotors have a lot to do with the problem, they seem to warp alot faster than they used to with the finned rotors.

Broken belts in the tires will cause a pulsation in the brakes over time as well, I will never buy a Good Year tire again! Of couse at the rate they are falling aprart on our car I won't have to, they get replaced under warranty too fast.

a guy my dad knows has an old cadillac and at the tire place they put the nuts on too tight and when he pulled it out of the shop this april to start driving one of the wheels was cracked...watch out when youre driving and make sure your wheels dont fall off

[This message has been edited by mbw (edited 07-01-2003).]