Rolling Wheel Wells

kaiserbud

I recently upgraded to 8" 245/60/15. They look really close to the wheel well if the rear body squats down hard. Any thoughts on rolling the wheel wells? What about gringing the metal rather than bending - as I do not want the paint to chip and ultimately rust.

------------------

72Monte.gif

[This message has been edited by kaiserbud (edited 09-19-2002).]

The grinder would realy make an edge for rust to take hold. I would try rolling one first. (insert joke here).

I rolled the fenders of a chevelle long ago. I used a wooden baseball bat stuck between the tire and fender, and had a friend drive the car slowly forward. Might take a couple of trys, but it works pretty good.

The 15" x 8" rally wheels are also available with 4 1/2" backspacing. I believe that the backspacing used on them for Corvettes was 4", which seem to be the most common when it comes to the 15" x 8" size.

If one were to get the 15" x 8"s with the 4 1/2" backspacing, chances are that the trim rings sized for the 15" x 7"s would have to be used. I wouldn't think that any body modifications would be necessary with this size/backspacing and the 245 or 255/60-15 size tires, however.

Dave

Bob - what backspacing are you running?

I am using vette wheels - I guess they are 4" BS - but I will have to check. will advise..

Also - I checked the body for squareness - the right side has 2" and the left has 1.5". This is only off 1/4". This dimension is from tire side wall to outer edge of wheel well trim.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Bob - what backspacing are you running?</font>

Stock GM 8" Vette wheels, not sure of the backspacing.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Hansen (edited 09-20-2002).]

I'm running 255-60-15's on vette 8 inchers. They did rub in the back over bumps. I rolled the lips using a piece of 3 inch exhaust tubing. Since both rear quarters need to be replace anyway, I finally just cut the lip with a grinder. If you do cut it, you have to make sure you put some kind of roll on the cut edge to prevent a cut in extreme situations.