AUTO BODY REPAIR -Crooked front bumper

Hello again,

As I look at the front of the car, it is obvious that it was hit at some point. I've also come to the conclusion that whoever did the body work should be banned from practicing his or her art.

I notice that the passenger side of the bumper is over an inch to far back so that it is hitting the left fender. You know how there is an indentation on the lower front corner of each panel side for the bumper? Well the right side looks good...the left side is just out of whack.

I want to hate the bumper, but realized it is not the bumper's fault; it's how/where it is attached to the frame. Is there a way I can adjust that bumper on the left side, or do I need to take it to a body shop (a good one)? I hate to pull the bumper off if it is a frame problem that I won't be able to do much about.

Thanks

George

Bumper is attached to the frame with 2 bolts on each side. If you get under the car you will find them. A 3/4" fits. you will need a short extension with socket for the back one to reach inside the frame (wrap a piece of tape around the socket/extension because if you knock the socket off it is very hard to retrieve it) and a wrench on the outer. These bolts hold both up and down and in and out positions of the bumper.

[This message has been edited by George Lines (edited 10-11-2003).]

George, The problem may be a bent bumper bracket. By comparing left to right side bracket you'll be able to determine which one is bent. The straight one can be used as a reference. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4/10bolt, Branson participant

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project Darkest of Dark Green Metallics/GenIII346LS1/4L65E/12bolt posi

71Monte-1.jpg