Questions - How wide on 17 inch Wheels & Tire ??

Looks like I am  going to go with 17's on all four Wheels.  I have Viking adjustable Shocks all the way around. 

1 ) Front Tires, should I go 17 x 7 or 8 , is really a difference ? What backspace 4 Inches ? 

2 ) Rear  Tires I want to go as Wide as I can for Traction. I know all cars vary a little.  Can I go 17 x 10 o 11 or  is that too wide for our cars . Should I just go 17 x 9?.  What should the backspacing be ?

Thanks   

I ran Centerline Scorpions on both my 70 chevelle and 70 monte carlo. I had 17 x8's on the front with no issues and 17x10's on the rear of the monte as the rear quarter does not bow outwards like the chevelle rear 1/4 did with a 5.75 inch offset. and a 275 40 17 on the rears. the chevelle I  put a 17x11's with a 335-35-17's and a 6.25 offset.

Darren.

Here is the monte and yes 4 inch on the front and 10's on the rear

photo-19_zpsdcda39f5.jpg

and the chevelle, with 11's on the rear and 8's on the front

IMG_1760_zps2mcu6gpg.jpg

Darren

never hurts to test fit the rims on the rear with no tires, measure the distance from the inside rim edge to the frame and then run a yard stick straight down the wheel well opening to the ground straight and measure the outside rim lip to the wheel well lip and see if the offset is where it needs to be with the same distance on each side then there should be no tire rub with the correct tire on. if the tires are too wide they will over buldge or round out off the rim and rub, the right size tires should have no sidewall buldge. like trying to put a 295-50-15 on a 15x8.... JMO

Darren

Rear 17x9.5 with 5.5 in BS
275/40/17 BFG Tires

Front 17x8 with 4.5 in BS
235/45/17 BFG Tires

There is a wealth of knowledge here:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3188-wheel-and-tire-data-base/