Haynes book

MarchieB

Does any one have this book and if so is it any good? (good info and what not)

i-1.JPG

MarchieB

[This message has been edited by MarchieB (edited 11-27-2002).]

I have both the Haynes and the Chiltons books and would not like to do without either of them. There are things in each one that are not in the other. I have the same Haynes book you show in your picture but my Chiltons book is more year specific plus it is about four inches thick and hard back.

They both have their advantages.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

I like my 1970 fisher body manual and my 1970 chassis serrice manual. Chevy books tell me everything i need to know

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454 SOLD frown
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)

ek_3.jpg

IMHO: WORTHLESS.. Absolute junk.

Very undetailed, and very much lacking detail for 1st gen montes. This book tries to cover WAY to much material, in way to small of a space. I'd rather spend the $90 on a Factory Service Manual.

(these are ok in a pinch)

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarchieB:

Does any one have this book and if so is it any good? (good info and what not)

i-1.JPG

MarchieB

[This message has been edited by MarchieB (edited 11-27-2002).]</font>

i agree with kc8oye, notice the (what? 88) on the front, well all i saw was that model stripped out all the way thru, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, and haynes IMO barely showed any first gen pics.

i went with the fisher combo and have been very pleased with them, only complaint is, the reprinted pics are a little dark, but the text is excellent and fully coherent. spend the extra on fisher smile.gif

jon

I use the Chevrolet Chassis Service manual. There is a lot of detail for a specific year. The chassis service manual (1970) has the Chevrolet (Biscayne, Impala etc.), Chevelle, Monte Carlo, Nova, and 1969 Corvette. I have no idea why it covers a 69 Corvette. The Camaro, I assume, had a later edition since the car came out half way through the year.

This is off track, but there's a couple of interesting notes in the chev manual.

-It lists a Monte Carlo Custom Coupe and a Convertible. It even lists a body code of 13867 for the convertible. There are no other specs on a convertible though.

-It says it is a 5 passenger vehicle with bench and a 4 passenger vehicle with buckets. This does not make sense.

-It lists both 400 engines as 400 cu. in..

------------------

Aaron

1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Web Site

Monte150a.jpgcanada.gif

This is off track, but there's a couple of interesting notes in the chev manual.

-It lists a Monte Carlo Custom Coupe and a Convertible. It even lists a body code of 13867 for the convertible. There are no other specs on a convertible though.

-It says it is a 5 passenger vehicle with bench and a 4 passenger vehicle with buckets. This does not make sense.

The 70 owners manual also has convertible care and use instructions on page 40. At their new model presentation in 1969, the dealers were told a convertible would be introduced later in the model year.

You could fit another person in the front with the bench seat. It was a 5 passenger vehicle then.

------------------

Steve

the rear seat on a convertable is a little more narrow because of the top operating mechanism which is fit into the side panels.

not sure 3 folks could fit there.

mike

Where is the best place to pick up the Fisher Body Book and the Service Manual... I have seen them on ebay but not sure if that is the best price....

Originally posted by Canuck:

Montefraser: The back seat can have 3 people. Therefore, a bench seat car can have 6 passengers while the bucket seat car can have 5 passengers.

In a regular Monte, yes it's 5 and 6. If you were still under the convertible section, Grease is right. No way 3 are fitting in the back unless one is sitting on a lap. That mechanism takes up a lot of interior room.

------------------

Steve