Have you ever SEEN?

1SUPER70

A Landau top thought to be factory on a 1970 Monte. I took the top trim off of this car(which was in sad shape) because I had never seen this before and thought it to be very rare. The trim was held in place with factory type welded pins where the clips attach. I was able to find part of a build sheet in said car, PW,PS,(tilt)AC, Console, 273 ratio axle, LS3 400 engine, turbo 400,4-way power bucket seat (driver's). On the build sheet was C08 listed as SOFT ROOF COVER. All other listings of C08 I have seen are listed as roof cover vinyl. Let me have your thoughts.

I've never seen one on a first generation Monte. I don't remember any cars with a Landau top in 70. Many cars were converted to Landau, vinyl, or padded tops in the mid to late 70's around here.

I see that you are new to the message boards, 1SUPER70, so first off let me give you an official welcome! As I'm sure that you have seen already, this is a great place with all sorts of FGMC information and friendly, helpful people. smile

Now about your question. By the term "Landau" do you mean what was sometimes referred to as a 1/2 vinyl top, where the vinyl was only covering the aft portion of the roof and extending down onto the sail panels, similar to what was often seen on 2nd generation ('73-'77)Monte Carlos? If so, I've never seen one that way, and would think that it may have been modified at some time.

Typically, the first generation cars had what was referred to as a "halo" vinyl top design - where the vinyl covered over the whole roof, but stopped short of the side window drip rails. This left the A-pillars and areas surrounding all of the windows (except the rear window) as painted body color. The early version of this (what many of us refer to as the "full halo" style) stopped short of the upper windshield trim as well, and was seen on the early cars that were produced during the '70 model year. This was a "running change", as later-production '70 models often had the halo design where the vinyl ran all the way to the upper windshield trim - the way that it does on '71s and '72s.

As far as your build sheet reading "C08 - Soft Roof Cover", I can't help but wonder if that was simply the terminology used at that particular assembly plant when your car was built? Considering that the RPO code was the same, that kind of a scenario makes sense to me.

Perhaps someone else might be able to shed some light on this, too. wink

Dave

David, thanks for the welcome, I have read this forum for sometime, decided it was time to get on board. I am very familar with the firt generation Monte's having been involved with the NMCOA for 16 years and having a few first generations in my garage today (one being a 70SS454 as noted by the 1SUPER70). I have seen many Monte's in the junk yards but this one was different with the Landau roof, and the build sheet showing it as a "Soft Roof Cover". The welded in post where the clips attach to hold the trim on was beyond what any shop I know would go to, most just drill a hole and attach clip via a pop rivet. All I was able to salvage was the trim (in good shape) and about 1/3 of the build sheet. As noted this car was loaded with many options, sure wish it had been in better shape.