Areas where rust commonly occurrs?

At one time I saw an article that talked about where rust commonly occurs on Monte Carlo's. I thought is was on this site but cannot find it. I am looking for a list of areas or checklist of where known problem areas. I am looking at purchasing a 70 and would like the guy to send me pictures. Thanks

I'm not familiar with the article to which you're referring however I'll gladly share what I've seen in these cars (and its sister car the Chevelle).

You want to look at the bottom of the front fenders behind the front wheels. This is a very common area for rust. The rear quarter panels around the rear wheels is another common area. The trunk floor, around the windshield and back glass under the moulding, and the bottom of the doors are more areas to look for rust. If the car has a vinyl top, rust can form there as well causing "bubbles" in the vinyl. You'll also want to know about the floor board panels. Surface rust can be expected here and in the trunk floor but you want to make sure it hasn't started to go all the way through.

It really depends on where the car has spent most of its life. If it's been in the western or southern regions of the US, then the car should still be fairly solid with little to minor rust. If the car has been in the northern region, driven in snow and salt, then it's possible to find major rust. If the car has spent most of it's life parked in a garage regardless of the climate, it's possible the car would not have any or very minor rust problems.

Hopefully this will help and other board members can certainly provide additional information based on their experiences. Good luck with your purchase and we hope to hear more from you about the car!

I think Rick has covered all the bases. The only other thing I would check are the body mounts. If they are rusted you can fix them but its labor intense and you'd better know how to weld or it's going to be big bucks.

Steve

thanks for the replies. I believe there was one other area that I remember that you both touched on. I believe water had a tendency to drain in the AC intake and rot out the floor/body mount area on the passenger side. I had owned a 70 about 15 years ago and cannot find the pictures of some of trouble spots I had, so this message board is a big help. THANKS Again

I am going to add something to the suggestion of the bottom of the doors. I would look very close to the area around the bottom hinge on both doors and just below the bottom hinge on both doors. I have seen doors solid on the bottom but rotted out at the lower hinge.

Usually rust found in the trunk is from the water running down from around the rear window. I would demand pictures of the entire trunk and if the trunk has not been repainted you may see a rust mark running down from the top of the wheel well and into the trunk. If this rust is present it means it has been leaking from around the rear window and into the trunk.

Please don't buy a car based on someones pictures. I drove all the way to Indy to look at a car that was in "showroom condition" The pictures looked fantastic due to the angles the guy shot them from. When I arrived in Indy (10 hour drive) the "showroom condition" car looked like the showroom had caved in upon it. The only way to purchase a car is in person. Many people have purchased cars sight unseen and come away with a great deal but I would be very careful.

Rob

Where do Monte Carlo's rust?

Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, the Northest. Take your pick, cars also rust in the south.

Head west if you do not like rust.

Hello fellow Wisconsinut wink If you want to see for yourself where a 70 Monte rusts, take a short trip to the north side of Racine and look at my 70 daily driver. Over 240,000 miles and has rust everywhere mentioned plus in the frame. Email if you would like to talk or look. Always willing to talk Monties.

When I bouhgt my 71 in 1982 it was a fairly solid car . It jad no previous work done on it , at the time it was just another used car (What I would give to have that used car now frown ). My 71 had rust in the following places:

Back of trunk , behind the rear bumper , not a spot you would expect to find rust but it was there . I also had a 71 Chevelle that rusted in the same spot. This was not on the trunk floor but on the rear where the trunk floor came up to the trunk opening.

The quarter panels between the door and the wheelwell opening on the bottom of the quarter.My 71 had a lot of chrome trim along the bottom of the car , Id be willing to bet that was a contributing factor to this particular area of rust.

The bottom of the doors and the bottom of the front fenders in front of the doors, but I think these areas were mentioned in another post.

Good luck in your search and I hope whatever Monte you buy , will bring you happiness.

Dan

mine rusted under the chrme trim behind the front wheels, under the vinyl top, the trunk floor and didi i mention behind all the chrome trim......and especially that strip of metal that runs along the bottom of the rear window..i need a new one of those....and bellive it or not ..IM out west....whats up with that?...good luck!!

Quote:
Back of trunk , behind the rear bumper , not a spot you would expect to find rust but it was there . I also had a 71 Chevelle that rusted in the same spot. This was not on the trunk floor but on the rear where the trunk floor came up to the trunk opening.
Ya I have the exact same problem, plus another weird place my car rusted is the front left body mount, must have gotten full of sand or something