Tearing down my 70.

Jason G 53

I have finally made time for ole blue. Day 1, started with the hood and worked my way down pulling off any and eveyrthing. I bagged/labeled all my nuts and bolts and began an inventory on what can we saved and what cannot.

Day 2 got the motor and trans all freed up to be pulled. Later in the day, I scored a used one time cherry picker and engine stand for $100 off craigslist!

Day 3, well today, out with the motor and trans. Detached the trans and put the motor on the stand.

Tomorrow I'm moving to the back. Need to pull the bumper, tail lights, tank.

This weekend, my plan to pull the body off: going to mount my chain hoist to a rafter, have a 4x4 running horizontally with 2 straps on either end. I'll run each strap through the windows, as far apart as possible. Thoughts?

post-1250-0-59042100-1454380291_thumb.jpeg

post-1250-0-19638800-1454380319_thumb.jpeg

post-1250-0-39747300-1454380346_thumb.jpeg

post-1250-0-88622900-1454380405_thumb.jpeg

post-1250-0-25264000-1454380426_thumb.jpeg

post-1250-0-15807000-1454380473_thumb.jpeg

post-1250-0-73721600-1454380496_thumb.jpeg

Jason I pulled the body off my 71 using the engine hoist. I used chains bolted to the seat belt holes put the engine hoist through the window and hoisted it off the frame. I did have the car already jacked up a bit on jack stands which gave me clearance to get the hoist inside the window with out hitting the roof. Took about an hour to set up and I had it off the frame and sitting on 4X4's on cinder blocks within minutes. I did use an engine leveler to connect the chains to the hoist but have seen others just use the chains connected straight to the engine hoist.

John

• Like 1

My thoughts:

1. You are a courageous and ambitious young man.

2. Looks like you have a good helper.

3. Hope the 4x4 doesn't break.

4. Good luck with your project!

what Gush said...lol

I remember where you are at now..that was 2 years ago...sigh

I remember where you are at now..that was 34 years ago. I don't know on the 4x4 but my gut does not feel good. Rent or borrow an engine picker, be safe.

I took mine off the frame with floor and bottle Jacks and 4x4. Had no issues and did it by myself. Then I built a 4x4 cradle with wheels to move it around. You can see pictures in the ss section on this site. Good luck with your project

Joe

Jason I pulled the body off my 71 using the engine hoist. I used chains bolted to the seat belt holes put the engine hoist through the window and hoisted it off the frame. I did have the car already jacked up a bit on jack stands which gave me clearance to get the hoist inside the window with out hitting the roof. Took about an hour to set up and I had it off the frame and sitting on 4X4's on cinder blocks within minutes. I did use an engine leveler to connect the chains to the hoist but have seen others just use the chains connected straight to the engine hoist.

John

That is something I have not thought about.  Might be the way to go because I'm starting to have my doubts about how I had planned on doing it, namely the weight on the rafter and the weight on the 4x4.  I think this might be my best option.  

My thoughts:

1. You are a courageous and ambitious young man.

2. Looks like you have a good helper.

3. Hope the 4x4 doesn't break.

4. Good luck with your project!

1.  Thank you.  2. He gets down and dirty and loves this stuff.  3.  Yeah, that's been swirling around in my head and I don't want to gamble!  4.  Thank you!  As long as I see progress, alls good.  

I have done three body off on different cars. On a Monte we wrap a chain at the base of the fire wall using the cowl body mount openings and a elec wench from Harbor Fright at the front of the car IMG_20140418_095606_416_zps884fcca0.jpg (also can see the body dolly). At the rear we used another chain ran through a piece of pipe welded to bolt which screws into the rear bumper bracket then hooked to a engine hoistbuild006_zps70e42143.jpg. Once the body was in the air under went our home made body dolly. Or in one case we made body stands to work on the a car.

• Like 2

Jason they all have the square nut at the firewall to frame location, why who knows. Here is one thing you can do is weld the square nut in place this will keep the nut in place while breaking it lose. You can change it out to a regular style nut if you like.

Got everything loose and just about ready to raise the body.

The picture shows how I got one of the bolts off. On the other side however, after countless tries, I finally just cut it!

post-1250-0-63729900-1454987040_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

When I installed my body bushings a few years ago. I had the square nut in the left rear break loose. I had to cut into the rear brace to weld the cage back down around the Stupid nut. And those bolts that came with my new bushings kit wouldn't screw back into the body. I reused most of the body bolts as long as if they weren't rusted to the point to where they were rusted thin on the bolt

I wish I had the guts to do this but I drive my car almost every day and I'm worried I'll never get it finished, as it is I can go anywhere I want even taking a trip to Myrtle Beach next month!

• 2 months later...

I read on another post "some progress is still progress!" Waiting for more por15 to come in, thought I'd spray a little silver! I've got the trans cross member, all trailing arms a arms spindle components several other stuff ready for por15.

I found a parts car about a 100 miles west. Guys tells me it's a 70 SS that had 36k miles on it, been sitting for years after a wreck. He has a ton of parts I need. However, when we started talking prices, he asked "you seen what these are going for on eBay?" Oh well.

post-1250-0-81672900-1463365174_thumb.jpeg