Magnaflow?

overdrive

I'm researching stainless steel exhaust systems and need some help.  This system is a possibility. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161389445764?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone here have any experience with the 14" Magnaflow mufflers?  I'm wondering if the 18" would be a better choice, or maybe a different brand.  I sent the seller a question about maybe having an option to get the 18"ers,  but he didn't answer.

I hate the drone of some systems.  My wife will be riding with me at times and I'd like to be able to talk and hear the stereo, but of course,  I want it to sound good when the loud pedal gets mashed.

Dan

I have the Magna flow with the turbo mufflers and it sounds awesome but yeah, it does have a little drone to it. My car has no sound barrier in it, so I think if It did, it wouldn't be as bad. The price we pay to have a low rumble exhaust system. Mine was a 2 1/2 stainless system with turbo mufflers. Pretty sure this is the same system I bought and I paid $500 a year ago. They had a thing where you could make an offer and mine was excepted.

I have also been looking, but i'm strongly thinking about not going with stainless steel because I will never see salt and seldom see rain. I have a regular set up that was built at a local shop here put on 7 years ago and hardly has any rust on it at all so why spend the extra cash. I will be going with 2.5 header back system with x or h pipe and thinking flowmaster 40s I dont mind a little noise. I have non stainless headers that I painted with ceremic paint. Eventually I will get around to putting the new alum. heads and cam and headers on but concerding doing the lower end too just so I know whats there. Just a thought.

I was going to suggest torque tech http://www.torquetechexh.com but I see that they are closing their business after 27 years. They were great people to deal with and their system fit awesome and the quality was excellent Made in the USA. I have their 3" x-pipe system with Pypes 14" Race Pros.  Loud but not obnoxious at cruise. At WOT it's wicked loud. 

All their a-body stuff is gone. Sad

I have read about people having bad drone but I have never heard it in either in the Monte or in the Nomad. Both cars have 2.5" pipe from the header back using an H pipe design, as for mufflers both have Flowmaster delta 40's. Our El Camino has the same Flowmaster 2.5" system the cover over for the H was removed but it runs the 44 series mufflers which hasn't seem any drive time. The 72 Monte has 2.5" pipe to a Magna flow muffler haven't heard what it sounds like as of yet but I hope it sounds good.

My Flowmaster 40 Mufflers had a horrible drone at certain RPMs. I went to Magnaflow 14" mufflers and they are great! Not too loud, just right for my taste....

Then again, my Monte has electric cutouts if I really want it loud! :shifter:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took Rock's suggestion and got the system in the link for alot less. I offered $525 to a company and they countered with $629. I then tried the same offer with the company in the link I posted earlier and they accepted!

Thanks Rock!

Dan

Well, I took Rock's suggestion and got the system in the link for alot less. I offered $525 to a company and they countered with $629. I then tried the same offer with the company in the link I posted earlier and they accepted!

Thanks Rock!

Dan

Anytime. I was shocked when they accepted my offer. I thought I was really lowballing them! Lol

Dan, does your car have the insulation on the floors? I am told that helps a lot with the drone. I may add it next winter along with new carpet. Are you welding it? Get stainless welding wire if you are! The only place I did not weld was at the mufflers, I used clamps there in case I ever needed to drop the tranny. I myself did not care for the turn down tips, I opted for the SS tips. Have fun!

I've bought new carpet with the sound deadener on it. I plan to use the clamps until I have the car back on the road and then I can drive it and check and fine tune the fit. Then, I'll probably weld most of the joints.

Dan

I bought the sound deadner on my new carpet but also installed a DynoMat clone and it made a big difference. Before we had to run the radio on about 22 to hear it and we could not converse with each other without almost yelling. Now the radio is set at 8 or 9 and we can hold a nice conversation in normal voices.