washer fluid monitor

ejw71

Was the washer fluid monitor available all three years? Where was the monitor mounted. Thanks, Ed

I'm not sure if it was available in all three years or not, Ed, but I believe that Rob Peters' '70 has it. I think that the monitor was mounted underneath the dashboard, to the left of the steering column.

I'm sure that someone else will know more about it than I do.

Dave

Ed,

Yes, Dave is correct, mine has the monitor. The washer monitor indicator mounts inside the vehicle on the drivers side, not far from the emergency brake release. It really looks like and add on after-thought. I'm not sure if I have a picture of it in the interior but if I do I could email it to you. As far as where the sender unit mounts... it mounts in a hole next to the filler cap. If you are standing in front of the car looking into the engine compartment the sending unit is mounted to the left of the filler cap. Also, If I have a picture of this I can send it to you.

Rob

Option CD2 (windshield washer monitor) was only available on the '70 model.

But it was cancelled early in the production model, the '70 assembly manual shows it being cancelled 1-16-70.

I also have this fully functioning option on my '70.

Option CD2 (windshield washer monitor) was only available on the '70 model.

But it was cancelled early in the production model, the '70 assembly manual shows it being cancelled 1-16-70.

I also have this fully functioning option on my '70.

My car was a late production, July of 70 and it has the windshield wash monitor system

My '70 had the washer fluid monitor which does look like an after thought where and how it mounts.It also has the lamp monitor pkg which was 100% complete and almost 100% working.Iv'e seen them on other GM's('68-'71Impala-Caprice,was an option on Chevelles...etc) and the front hsg's appear to be very similar.

My '70 had the washer fluid monitor which does look like an after thought where and how it mounts.It also has the lamp monitor pkg which was 100% complete and almost 100% working.Iv'e seen them on other GM's('68-'71Impala-Caprice,was an option on Chevelles...etc) and the front hsg's appear to be very similar.

Mine also has the light monitor system which is fully operational. I know it was only offered in 70 for the Monte but I can't comment on the other models of Chevy. As far as the front housings being similar, there are differences in the lens. Since the Monte only had 1 headlight on each side rather than 2, the lens would be different for the Monte. I don't know if the chrome piece which the lens fits into was larger on the other models or not.

Rob

Coolram and Rob, What is the lamp monitor pkg you are refering to? Is it a waring light system that informs if the exterior lights are working/not working? Where mounted on dash? Thanks, Ed

Ejw what we are refering to the fiber optic lamp monitor sytem(RPO U46 I think).It works the same way as the washer monitor in using light transfer thru fiber optic cable.Look at Rob's homepage,the pics and description he has there show location and appearance.The 2 front monitors(on l & r front fenders page 1 of Rob's site)and the monitor for the tailights and license plate light is mounted on the rear deck(if you look on Rob's page 4 of the back set you'll see the hsg on the upper right corner of the pic).

My Monte has the "forward" part of this option intact. I believe that the rear package tray had been replaced at some point (prior to my purchasing the car) and most likely at that time the part of the system that monitored the rear lights was not re-installed. I sure wish I still had it. frown

From what I understand, the system was available on many Chevrolet models from '68-'70, and that is why it wasn't available on '71 and later Monte Carlos. I've seen it on a '69 Camaro and also on a '70 Chevelle. Even though the Chevelle had a 4-headlight system, the chrome housings on that car's front fenders looked identical to the ones that were on the '69 Camaro and my '70 Monte (both with 2-headlight systems).

Dave

Another place to look for fiber optics is on mid 70's Buicks. I have taken some off Electra's and have seen them on Riviera's. The front chrome housing and gasket is the same as my 70 Monte units. These are 4 headlight systems for the Electra so you get an extra fiber optic line. Not sure about the Riviera. The rear set up is different than the Monte.

• 2 weeks later...

My 70 monte has the fiber optic washer fluid monitor. The monitor is mounted underneath the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Does anyone know where you can get replacement fiber optics for this?

Wayne

we got a early early 71 we junked out i know was all orgional i still got the build sheet i got out from the back seat !!!! this car had options out the WeWe!!!!!!!!!!!! i bought the car at a estate sale odler couple hard passed on they retired and come to live in arkansas they were orgionally from ILL. got stacks of paper work with the car from the day it rolled off the show room floor!!!!i felt bad junking the car!!! it was so bad with rust the actual door janb s and hinge area were rotted out!!!!! i will get some pics of it i bet it`s the only monte i will ever own with barn tin for floorpans!!!!!!