Gear indicator... What gear am I in?

How does the gear indicator (auto) know what gear you are in. I removed my dash and gauges today and there does not seen to be any mechanism conected to the gear indicator. This is important as it was not showing the gear I was in properly in the first place

the indicator in the dash is operated by a very small cable . it should be hanging down from the dash assy , just to the right of center.i think you need the platic cover removed from under the steering column to see this. on the hanging end of it there would be a little clip .this clip connects to the steering column ( the part that rotates when the gear lever is moved ).when you make a gear selection this rotation pulls the cable which drags the indicator needle . possibly your cable is broken frown another possibility is the plastic in the dash is worn out , the small peg the cable runs across to change directions may be cut thru frown

mike

Ok, I remember removing that thing. Thought it was some sort or ground, Whats wierd is that it is only a flimsy wire. I can see how it can pull the indicator down, but how does up work? One would think that the piece had to be more like a solid piece of wire (like a coat hanger).

Anyway, my cars indicator moved, however just not enough. going through the gears (PRND1) barely got you to the D. Could this be the linkage under the car.

the gear indicator is spring tensioned when you select drive it pulls on the spring when you select park the spring contracts or pulls the indicator to park. if it does not move very far the cable most likely wor through the plastic guide and lost some of the tension or the linkage bushing "which is still available at the dealership and made of nylatron" is worn out it is located on the frame rail where the spring goes into the cup directly across from the trans selectorunder the car.

alex

It's spring loaded to return to park. Reconnect the clip to the column and pull the shifter all the way down to low. Adjust the wire/clip until the indicater is on low. Snug up the screw and slowly move the shifter back to park. Watch the indicater as you move the shifter. Make any minor adjustments and tighten the screw. If this doesn't work, take the indicater out and see how badly it's worn where the wire rubs on the plastic. I replaced this on my 84 Caprice in November. Wire had cut through the plastic and jammed. I was always in D. cry

This problem exists on many Chevys, cars & trucks. The problem is almost 100% of the time with the coated wire as mentioned above and almost never the trans shifting components. Ed