Current Muncie Costs

Droff

I've been looking around for a 4 speed Muncie and it seems that regardless of model (M20, M21, M22), the cost seems to swing a good bit, anywhere from $300 to $1200+. I will say typically, the lower cost transmissions would need a rebuild, while the higher dollar ones are usually okay to install as is. Some have linkage and a shifter, some are just the tranny and some have clutch parts.

So, just looking for some opinions, what is a good price on an M20 or M21? (M22's are more like hen's teeth).

Is this more like a "whatever it's worth to you" kind of thing?

Drew, I shopped for almost a year before I bought my M20, I paid $400 with a flywheel. I knew it needed a rebuild, and I had it completely gone through for about $450. With that said, I now knew what I had for $850. I've know guys who paid close to a grand and ended up getting repairs done due to leaky seals or noisy synchros and spending another 3 or 400............Bottom line is be careful, a $1000 Muncie is quite often a very fair price if you have a guarentee of its condition!

• 3 weeks later...

I paid 1000 for mine a year ago.  I talked to a guy that rebuilds them.  I told him that I hadn't bought one yet and asked him if he could assemble one for me.  He recommended a case and gear cluster for my application and put it together for me.  I felt like that was a fair price for a "new" transmission built like I wanted it.