Bought another Monte

71z20

I must have a sickness, bought another Monte,I already have a 71 and a 72. It is pretty rough but it's all there.It was too cheap to not buy. 1970 autumn gold, 165hp 350, black bench seat interior,made in Van Nuys, halo top. As for now I just wanna get it running again.

Congratulations, Chad.  You've enhanced your first gen collection with the best year ever!  

Autumn Gold was a '70 model year only color code (as was Astro Blue).  My first '70 that I purchased new in July, 1970 was Autumn Gold with a white vinyl top - I've only seen one like it since.  My current '70 SS has a similar Autumn Gold, black vinyl top and black interior combo like your '70.

Thanks for sharing a picture.  Hope you enjoy getting her cleaned up, fixed up and back on the road.  Keep us posted on your progress.

We're all a bunch of sick people.  My current black Monte looked just like the one in your picture (Autumn Gold) with a black top and black interior.

My current blue Monte was originally Astro Blue.

By the way, no doctor I've found can cure this illness!!!!!

Mike

I was looking at this car today and noticed it did not come with a/c or power steering. Ive seen them with out air but never without power steering, i thought they all had it. Anyone else come across this?  Thanks Chad

I think sometime midyear or later in 71 they made P/S and ?Power brakes? standard equipment.

I met a Monte owner once who took his P/S off and replaced it with a manual steering box.

Bruce

Found this on WIKI:

A Cadillac-like egg-crate grille similar to the 1971 Chevrolet Caprice and a metal rear trim molding highlighted the changes to the 1972 Monte Carlo, the final year for the first generation design. The SS was dropped, but a new Monte Carlo Custom option appeared as a one-year only offering that included a special suspension and other items previously included with the SS option. Unlike the departed SS package, it was available with any engine on the roster. The Monte Carlo Custom badging was similar to the Impala Custom.

The engines were largely unchanged, but an industry-wide switch to SAE net hp numbers led to a reduction in the rated power of all Chevrolet engines. Chevrolet did not list gross horsepower figures for 1972. Compared to 1971 figures, only the 402 and 454 had a decrease in power. The new ratings for the Monte Carlo were:

350 CID (5.7L), two-barrel: 165 hp
350 CID (5.7L), four-barrel: 175 hp
402 CID (6.6L), four-barrel: 240 hp
454 CID (7.4L), four-barrel: 270 hp
In California, which had emissions standards more stringent than federal law, the 4-barrel carbureted 350 was the standard and only available engine. Also, the only transmission offered in California was the Turbo Hydramatic.

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
For 1972, the four-speed manual transmission was discontinued from the option list as a line in the Monte Carlo brochure describing its market position as a personal luxury car stated "Sorry, no four-on-the-floor." The standard three-speed manual and optional two-speed Powerglide automatic transmissions were offered only with the base 350 CID two-barrel engine, with the three-speed Turbo Hydramatic also available with this engine and a mandatory option with each of the optional engines.

Mechanically, the most significant change was that variable-ratio power steering became standard equipment for the first time.

Interior trim was relatively unchanged from 1971 other than the availability of all-vinyl upholstery with the standard bench seat in addition to the optional Strato bucket seats. Cloth interiors were also offered with both bench and bucket seats.

Monte Carlo 1972 model year production increased to 180,819 to set a new record in the final year for the first-generation A-body. Monte Carlo and other Chevrolet models were promoted as part of a new ad campaign in which Chevys in print and broadcast ads were featured at various tourist attractions and sites around the United States under the tagline "Chevrolet: Building a Better Way To See The USA."