Ok I am having an issue with my charging system. I have read and tried everypossible remedy I could find and now Im out of resources and asking for the experiences and know how you guys have... Alright I have a 70 and just put a new engine in it (350c.i.) and things seem to be fine until a couple weeks ago I noticed my gauge at about 11.7v while i was driving... I automatically thought Alt.  I had to goto work the next morning so I put it on the tender and in the am drove over 20 min with my lights on to work with no problem. I kept doing this and would try to fix it in the eves. with no change... its got a new starter and  ex.volt reg. (Autozone $20 about 3 mos ).  Alternator (Oreilys Ultima 61 amp) is only a couple days old and I just got back from having them test it again to make sure it was good since the first was bad right out of the box.  Battery (Interstate) is 2 days old.  Ive checked the wiring and cleaned every connection I could find on the battery Alt, Regulator, horn relay, splice and grounded the block to frame, and cleaned others on the fender and firewall and ended up running a loop from battery to alt neg post to block to Alt bracket.. I checked noltages at the Bat key off -12.5 running 12.31 Alt running post to post is 12.31 Volt reg key on eng off F-0v #2 .01v  #3-12.31v  #4 .05v  Eng running-No changes.  From what ive read #2&4 should have voltage running around 3.2 and full v respectively and shouldnt have any when KOEO.  I also borrowed a delco Int. reg alt. 12s from a friend and jumped the F-4 and 2-3 at the Volt reg connection with no difference.. I checked my Gen light and forgot I put LEDs in when I got the car but I thought I took them out so I checked them and made sure they were reg bulbs and now the Gen lite is on when keys on and engine is running.. Im stumped I dont understand how I can drive it with barely any drop in voltage (drives at about 11.7-8v) w/lites on.  I see that it dips slightly when I hit the brakes though.. Could it be the gauge and the dummy lite? I saw the Alt had wiring diag. for either or.  Is it a wiring problem?? Fuse panel???   Sorry so long but i was trying to give as much info as possible... Thanks in advance for any ideas fellas....Let me know if more info is needed Ill test whatever and get right back and I can post pics if necessary too..     

Matt have you added an extra elec devices like aftermarket radio, amp, elec fans? If you put a stock style alt 60 amp alt I believe you might not be putting enough juice back to the battery which is causing the low voltage. If you have an extra elec device I would upgrade to a bigger alt at least a 100amp alt and remove the exterior voltage regulator to a interior regulator. The battery you have what is the specs on it? sometimes they will have the charging spec along with the CCA (cold cranking amps) and CA (cranking amps) as the battery might not be big enough to handle the load. My 70 with a big block and a bunch of extra add-on stays at 12.5 volts running with everything turned on. I have  upgraded to a 100amp alt with a interior regulator.

It does have an aftermarket radio and amp... would it just happen like that when those items were installed already and things were running normallyprior?? It was driving at 13.5v ... the battery is 875 CA 700 CCA.. It was the biggest one available at the time at my mechanics shop and I actually just grabbed it when I was putting in the engine Bcuz i was low on cash and I could put it on my tab, and figured a fresh new one would be better.  I had left my lights on a couple times and it went completly dead dead on me so I had him switch it out for a new one a couple days ago.. I was actually planning to pick up an Optima soon not sure if thatll make a difference Ive never had one but Ive never heard anything bad at all about them.  Would the small battery make the dummy lite go on?? I wish I had the right bulb in there so I knew exactly when it went on.. Another thing I saw was the printed circuit wasnt in the best shape could that effect this issue at all???

Change the alternator out for an internal regulated one.  It bolts right in.  Change the connector at the alternator can get one from the help section of the automarts store.  Then make two jumper wires to plug in place of the external regulator.  My external regualted alternator wouldn't put out more then 12V. 

Also check that your alternator idiot light works.  If bulb is bad alternator will never charge.

Do a google search lots of info out there (correct and incorrect) on how to install the jumpers.  I finally just put an amp meter inline to the wire that excites the alternator field.  If hooked up wrong it will drain the battery dead with the car off.  One way had an amp draw with car off, hooked up other way and no draw with car off. 

Ok thanks I am gonna give it a try with the internal alt again because I had the led bulb in when I tried the first time.. I put the reg bulb in and now the Gen lite stays on... 

Also if this can help anyone else there a really good video on youtube on how to convert external to internal alternator 

Heres the link

Thanks for you help!!!!

Update ..... So I put in the internally reg. Alt and no change the dummy lite still blaring on!!  I read something about if the bulb in the dummy lite is bad it may cause a problem so I pull it to check it but duh it was on right.. I start the engine with the bulb pulled and rev it and BOOM 14.1v!!!! So what does that mean??? It wont charge with the bulb in there but is working fine without it????