SS454 headers?

Grapejuice1998

What's the best fitting header out there? Mine has a set of ratty looking Hookers on it right now. They were painted silver, along with the entire exhaust at one time, so now they are flaking and rusting. The drivers side was dinged up severely too, so it would clear the steering shaft. The drivers side also hangs too low, so it's the first thing to hit if you happen to bottom out.

Surely someone makes a decent fitting header now?

Best fitting? Possibly American Racing Headers. They're stainless and they're made specifically for the Monte Carlo. I have mine bolted to the motor, but the motor is still on the engine stand. At least, I can say they clear the factory starter and the oil filter removal will be easy. My old headers were under the filter and it was very hard to get it off.

ARH are excellent quality and they're priced accordingly. I went with them because I'll never need to replace them.

Dan

• Like 1

I like the Hooker 2455, but it is best to move the proportioning valve

No doubt! The old Hookers (lol) on there now are right up against the proportioning valve. I automatically thought of moving it up on top of the frame.

So the 2455 clears the steering shaft ok?

with stock heads , yes

if you have raised exhaust ports, no

I am considering a set of the American racing headers, my 17 year old hookers are getting pretty bad :(

Dan....have any pictures of those headers?

I put hooker headers on my big block car about 30 years ago ,and had to move the proportioning valve off the frame to fit ,I did not like to do that so I put the stock exhaust back on ,But the sound with the headers was unbelievable .

Sure would be nice to have a set of those American Racing Headers. i just priced a set out with options and it was $1395.

I have the Patriot 1 7/8 headers from Summit. They fit no issues. 454 with aluminum heads. Just wish I had moved the Proportioning Block off the frame. It is really close. Made a heat shield for it. I believe i had to install the drivers side from the bottom. 

I have the Patriot 1 7/8 headers from Summit. They fit no issues. 454 with aluminum heads. Just wish I had moved the Proportioning Block off the frame. It is really close. Made a heat shield for it. I believe i had to install the drivers side from the bottom. 

Have you driven it with the heat shield yet? I tried the same thing on my car and the brakes were horrible immediately after I did it. I tried adjusting the shield but I swear it would not get better. I took the shield off completely and my brakes went back to how they were before. Turns out as close as the valve to the header it would rather have full airflow than a shield...I have since moved it up onto the frame rail and the improvement of the brakes performance is as good as it is gonna get now.

I have been driving it with the heat shield. No issues. I placed a washer ( not metal )between the shield and the Valve so it has a small gap between it. I still wish I had moved it but I had already purchased and installed all new stainless brake lines. 

with stock heads , yes

if you have raised exhaust ports, no

I am considering a set of the American racing headers, my 17 year old hookers are getting pretty bad :(

Dan....have any pictures of those headers?

This is my first BBC, but the spark plugs were relatively unusual. They had the 13/16 base, but the were extended tip R44XLS. These were the only style of plug that would fit. How do I find out for sure which heads are on it?

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering trying the Patriot headers, they have a 3/8" flange, but there Web site says they are only 18 gauge tube vs. 16 gauge of the Hookers and a 5/16" flange

• 7 months later...

I used a set of Sanderson BB3 3/4 headers on mine.  They have 1 7/8" primaries.  One side is beautiful and ends at firewall,  the other side tube ends vertical and angling towards oil pan.   Takes a few curves to get it back heading in the right direction.  Not impossible but a stupid design.  

I will be replacing them with a full length set of likely ARH (American Racing Headers) in the future.  I am fortunate to have their factory 10 minutes from my home.  I can have them do the install of headers and exhaust for a perfect fit.

https://www.shoparh.com/collections/classics/products/monte-carlo-ss-454-1970-1972-headers

Supposedly, the Dougs Big Block Headers fit really well too.  However, they are only available in 1 3/4" primaries.  There is just the need to file back a small web I believe from the control arm mount.  No denting or dimpling of header tubes and they said they offer more ground clearance and fit tighter to the undercarriage,

https://shop.dougsheaders.com/doug-s-headers-d313-1-3-4-4-tube-full-length-header-chevrolet-camaro-big-block-chevrolet-67-74-metallic-ceramic-coating.html#.WJx_URIrL9A 

UPSATE:  Just checked.  It was Crazy Davey who made the recommendation to me a while back.  He installed a set of Dougs 313's on his 71 SS454 Monte he ran at the track often.

Can't seem to find any  posts of discussion.  Probably too far back in history I guess.

Dan