Stock ride height

I have a 70 with a 454 that I just set up and I am running a turbo 350 with 2600 stall and at the moment a set of hooker comp headers this car was originally the small block and it sits pretty low and I only have about 3 inches of clearance for my headers

Im sure I need new springs but I'm just curious of what the stock ride height is on a small and big block car.

I do have a set of front springs and I was told they were BB springs. I can't verify as I see no part number but the spring is 18" long and 5/8" diameter. I have a pic of the side view and you can see it sits rather high.
When I put the coil overs in I dropped 2" in the front and I was sitting at 27 1/2" from the ground to the top of the wheel well.
post-1188-0-36755000-1464706087_thumb.jpeg

Michael if the springs were changed when the big block was put in then you still have the small block springs in place and with the extra weight of the big block it gave you the drop. The coil overs that Glen is using is from Viking they are double adjustable with a total of 19 different settings. I throw a pair of their front coil overs on my 72 and pulled new big block lowering springs and new QA-1 shocks off.

Ok thanks yeah I'm sitting at around 24 1/2 so they are sagging more than I thought. What kind of coil overs are you using? If you don't mind my asking.

Viking coil overs, as stated they are double adjustable. but they to have different springs for different cars. If you have a big block then you need big block springs.

I hate when everybody says "block block" or "small block" springs

in 1970, Chevrolet used 10 different front springs depending on engine and options

in 1971, they used 6 different springs

and be careful....a lot of these places selling big or small block springs, are actually the same spring

I hate when everybody says "block block" or "small block" springs

in 1970, Chevrolet used 10 different front springs depending on engine and options

in 1971, they used 6 different springs

and be careful....a lot of these places selling big or small block springs, are actually the same spring

I get that but isn't the weight of a BB different than the weight of a SB? After market may try and fool us but I would think diameter of the coil and length of the spring would be a good question to ask.

I installed big block springs on my big block ,for the rear from EATON springs ,I could not be any more happier ,it raised the sagging rear end about 1 3/4 inches and now has the perfect stance I was looking for,I plan on having the front  springs done in the fall as well. The original owner had the fronts replaced the year before I bought my car in 1980 ,and with the big block and the weight factor ,I believe it is time to replace the fronts . Eaton is very good an d knowledgable to work with. 

• 8 months later...