Vinyl top trim

I have some vinyl top trim that I'm trying to restore it wont look stock but it will be painted like stock. Right now there is piece of tape on the area that should be painted. What is the best way to prep the trim?

I used triple 0 (ultra-fine)  scotch brite pad and cleaned with lacquer thinner,then let dry and shot some self echting primer on the painted part, then used low gloss black.

Robert, are you adding a vinyl top? Is the brown paint on the sail panel just for a contrast comparison? I saw a 72 Chevelle at a show one time that had a painted top, different color than the body. From a distance it looked like a vinyl top but once I got closer I discovered it was painted, anyway, my point is, he didn't install the trim to separate the colors between the top & the body. He had painted pinstripes that looked like trim, it was actually very cool......... 

Robert, are you adding a vinyl top? Is the brown paint on the sail panel just for a contrast comparison? I saw a 72 Chevelle at a show one time that had a painted top, different color than the body. From a distance it looked like a vinyl top but once I got closer I discovered it was painted, anyway, my point is, he didn't install the trim to separate the colors between the top & the body. He had painted pinstripes that looked like trim, it was actually very cool.........

I like the option of the Two-Tone paint job using the vinyl top trim to separate the colors. Mine is a Factory Two-Tone optioned car and it helps eliminate the vinyl rust trap but still have the contrasting colors.

rob