Restoration Process Question

MC_Rudy

Trying to figure out the best way to approach the restoration of my 72 Monte Carlo.  I am not looking for showroom quality; however, I do want it to look nice while driving around.  In this instance will it be wise to do a rolling restoration or a frame off restoration?  The car has major rust issues in the trunk, but the rest of the car isn't too bad.  FYI... I have most of the big sheet metal items to restore the trunk and rear quarter panels.  Link to pics are below

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B06Pw4i_3FlranVmNEpNWEx3XzQ&usp=sharing

It just depends on how far you want or are willing to go as this is quite a large project.  I would consider what my ultimate vision would look like,

determine what that work content / estimated cost is & and then compare that to your vision.  It's good to estimate all the things you want to

do, and then realistically decide what you can do depending on your situation.

That's how I would approach it.   :)

Doug

If you have a few buddies it takes all of an extra few hours to lift body, clean paint frame and re- install with new bushings and bolts

get a one piece trunk panel..there will be some creative metallurgy doing it but it looks like you will need some rear panels that are NOT reproduced and a call toleo konnick will be in order..I drove 8 hours/cross border  to get one little panel that I needed..good luck and keep us posted to your refurbish

• 2 weeks later...

looks like you need more than just a trunk floor pan. i would say dont do a rolling restoration..jus park it in the garage and get to work. 

trunk floor pan...trunk filler panel...metal work inside the rear window channel...rear left fender and the drop off inside the trunk and that rear panel below the trunk lid....

get to work