(V) Engine code on '72 Monte

GamesterX

Good morning everyone, I have a 1972 MC with a 402ci BB in it, I'm 99% sure its the original engine (I'll check the build sheet when I remember where I put it). Problem is the VIN shows the engine code as a (V) for the fifth digit not a (U) which would be a 402ci BB. My first thought was a typo on the title, so I dug the car out of 20 years of clutter and the VIN IS a (V) for engine code.  While Monte's and Chevelle's didnt use a (V) engine code other Chevy's did for a 454ci BB in '72, though MC and Chevelle used (W) for a 454ci BB.

If anybody has an answer for this or any ideas where I could start searching for an answer I'd greatly appreciate the help

post-4386-0-07023500-1468170472_thumb.jpg

Can you see the VIN number inside the windshield closest to the window glass on driver side?  That would confirm it a typo if different and for same vehicle.

Also, the info provided originally on the Title could have been in error and just transposed from purchaser to purchaser without anyone aware of it I guess.

I would use that VIN Pad ID just inside front window and see if I couldn't confirm with the Title to start with.

If that matches, then I am at a loss and would like to know what the...................

Doug

Hello Doug,

Yes I checked the VIN plate and door sticker, that was what I meant by "so I dug the car out of 20 years of clutter and the VIN IS a (V) for engine code". both have the (V) for fifth digit, I'm just going to assume the typo happened at the assembly plant. Like I stated before I'm nearly positive this 402ci engine is original, I bought this car in 1995 off of one of my fathers close friends, who bought it from one of his family members (original owner) in the early 90's, it was then restored by a auto museum http://www.volocars.com/

soon after that light restoration though a tragedy struck, the barn the car was stored in caught fire and COOKED the car, that's when I bought the car, only wanting the engine and soon realized what a great car I bought for a $900 insurance company buy-back.

I started this restoration when I was 18 years old and it got put on the back burner after getting married and having 3 kids. I did find the build sheet when I reupholstered the seats (1997'ish), I put it some where very safe, now I just need to remember where that is!

Great story.  I have 2 Build Sheets for mine but one had darkened to where it isn't legible anymore.  You should scan your Build Sheet into a photo program so you have

it as a back up and reference.  That's what I did with my good one in case it should darken.

So both the VIN of Car and that on Title show a "V"?  

If I understand you correctly, Car VIN Plate & Title agree with each other, and you want the Build Sheet to confirm all documentation agree's?  

And if it does, then the mistake had to have been made at the factory IMO.

If the motor is original, it would be confirmed on the engine stamp pad by matching the 6 digit vehicle sequence number stamped into the ledge.

I think the 402 CI in 72 was a CDN motor that would identify CI and year for application.  Correct me if I'm wrong.................. :crazy:

Doug

Look at the small flat spot behind the alternator on the engine block ,you wiil see the engine stamp ,that would appear to be the same as the id by the drivers side windshield ,that would also confirm to be a # matching car.

ENTER VIN WITH CAPITAL LETTERS:   

Year: 1972 Series: (H) Monte Carlo Body Style: (57) 2-door hardtop (H series only) Engine:   Plant: ( Baltimore, Maryland Chevelle #: 199836 for Baltimore, Maryland

Year: 1972 Series: (H) Monte Carlo Body Style: (57) 2-door hardtop (H series only) Engine: (U) 402cid V8 (RPO LS3 4-bbl available with or without SS option RPO Z15) Plant: ( Baltimore, Maryland Chevelle #: 199836 for Baltimore, Maryland

Year: 1972 Series: (H) Monte Carlo Body Style: (57) 2-door hardtop (H series only) Engine: (W) 454cid V8 (only available with series/model D37/D67/D80/H57 with SS option RPO Z15) Plant: ( Baltimore, Maryland Chevelle #: 199836 for Baltimore, Maryland

Year: 1972 Series: (H) Monte Carlo Body Style: (57) 2-door hardtop (H series only) Engine: (H) 350cid V8 (RPO L65 2-bbl available with or without SS option RPO Z15) Plant: ( Baltimore, Maryland Chevelle #: 199836 for Baltimore, Maryland

• The 250cid L6 was not available with the Monte Carlo

Year: 1972 Series: (H) Monte Carlo Body Style: (57) 2-door hardtop (H series only) Engine:   Plant: ( B) Baltimore, Maryland Chevelle #: 199836 for Baltimore, Maryland

Well here are all the codes I ran on a site that I can log into still and V does not come up at all and here above are the obvious codes when entered with your vin number and engine code subbed out.

If you can send us a Picture of the Actual Vin on your car then we can tell whether the vin tag is a restamp maybe done by Volocars and the V was stamped by accident. The problem now is if you bring it to anyones attention at MVD they will have a hayday trying to find any past registered owners I bet other than volocars. out of curiosity can you go to your local MVD (Motor Vehicle Department) and ask for history on your vin but subbing it with a U and say you are looking at the car to buy and see if they have the history on it. Maybe just maybe they are one in the same car and a vin restamp has this messed up. 

just my thoughts,

Darren

D is the engine code for Inline 6, thats why the red letters show up on the last vin search I did and ran D as the engine code....