Electrical problem

Hey guys I am having a electrical problem with the monte. When the car is off I have about 8 to 10 volts when I start it up I have 13.8 at the inside of the car at the batt. I have a little over 14. When I turn on my headlights it goes down inside but not so much outside at the batt. This leads me to belive I have a bad ground or a week positive wire it has been this way ever since I put the car back togather where are some places I can start looking to find the problem. Thanks guys

A bad ground is going to be the most popular answer. The voltage sounds good at the battery, so things are probably OK in that area. It is normal to see some drop in voltage further down the line, but if you want to chase the problem, I'd start by hooking a ground wire from the frame to the body just to see if your voltage readings improve.

Prime areas that tend to give problems are the ground cable from the battery to the fender there by the battery, and missing or nonexistant ground leads between the engine and frame, and between engine and firewall.

are your voltage observations by testing at the fuse block or by the factory gauge? went through a similar problem with the wifes 91 s10. shop checked it out after i ran out of ideas an tech said this is a common problem with factory gauges (low readings) and stated that sudden changes in reading are more important than actual reading. been working fine for many months and the stupid gauge still reads too low for my liking. hopes this helps.