Twin Turbo "aspirations"

Hisalone

Hey all.

I've been researching plans to engine swap my 71 for a while now. Initially, I was considering a big inch big block, however, I've always wanted to have a twin turbo first gen.  So with patience and critical thought, I've decided I should forgo the original plan and just do what really want with my vehicle.

My plan is to build a big bock 454 twin turbo engine.  It'll start with a forged short block and build up from there.  I have not decided on the actual turbo setup yet, but I have some ideas.  It'll be a low boost build and keep it right around a mild 800hp, relatively speaking.

There will obviously be stages to this build.  First off, I'm thinking of a simple blow through setup.  There's a few places that offer good carb setups for what I'm doing.  Maybe down the road, I'll make the switch to EFI. In time, I may even increase the boost for more power as things progress.  I know this is impractical and will cost more money, but I also know I won't be satisfied at the end of the day, otherwise.  One thing I like is to be unique.  However, one of the foremost concerns is driveability.  I enjoy driving the vehicle, therefore, many decisions and components will be considered to keep its main purpose intact.  That being said, I may just go EFI to begin with, but I've heard good things about what they are doing with blow through carbs lately.  I'm not planning on blowing the budget and spending tens of thousands of dollars on this, but I will also not skim on the most important parts. 

As things move along, I'll update this thread accordingly.  So, any thoughts? Perhaps, where should I start with a short block?

• 4 weeks later...

First step in the build will soon commence.  I decided to spring for the EFI first since it is easily the best option nowadays for running turbo applications.

I went with the Fitech 1200hp EFI after much research, deliberation, and reviews. I'll be adding a surge tank to feed the fuel pumps for the conversion.  Once I get the EFI up and running, it will be time to add the turbo setup which I have not finalized yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am involved with a similar project right now, although a little more ambitious. 540, twin s475 BW turbos, probably a Lenco and a FAB9. What I have learned is the same as you...while the blow thru carbs have come a long way, there is very little room for a tuning mistake, so while EFI is more expensive to start, the first (inevitable) mistake with a carb will make up for it in parts. Also, your goal of 800hp will probably require you to detune it quite a bit. You double your power at app 15psi of boost, so if you make 600hp N/A you can figure 1000-1100 at 15 psi. 600hp these days is easy. Best thing you can do is start with a good aftermarket block and quality forged rotating assembly. The best part of this is it's pretty easy on motor at these lower levels....Good luck !!!

• 7 months later...

Figured I should update this since I haven't and there's been some progress. I decided to convert to EFI using fitech .

Fitech EFI is performing properly as things get settled in. I switched out my ignition for better timing control under boost. In place of the HE I, I modified a TBI distributor, added an MSD coil and programmable 6al. Since I needed to add a CDI box anyway because of boost, it wasn't that much more expensive for the programmable box which does a better job controlling timing than the Fitech. Anyway, installed that and got it all dialed in to where I want it.

On to the fun stuff. I started mocking up the twin turbo setup. It's a cxracing hot side kit built for first gen big block chevelles. Needless to say, some fabrication required. New valve covers were ordered since my fabricated set doesn't clear. A few other minor clearance issues that are easily manageable. However, the major issue will be the steering shaft. It looks like I'll have to reroute using ujoints and new shaft sections. Besides that, charge pipes need to be fabricated, and turbo oil lines need to be ran, and it's pretty much ready to fire up.

Anyway, here's what's been happening the past week. Enjoy.

post-241-0-56708400-1499002305_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-16791500-1499002336_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-72779500-1499002428_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-43699800-1499002448_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the response.

I'm actually going to run e85. I built the fuel system up for it and turbos love corn juice. Those are Borg Warner S366 turbos with the 66mm inducer. I'm only going to run low boost, however, because this is still a street car and will remain that way. I don't want an all out race car.

• 3 weeks later...

The progress has been moving along slowly but surely. I have a temporary cold side mocked up until I can get to my fabricator and get some pipes properly bent. I have the steering shaft rerouted, oil lines finished, and everything fitting properly. I still need to wrap and silicon paint the headers, but I can't do that in the extreme heat and humidity we've been experiencing. 100°, heat index 115° because of humidity. That's causing a delay. It's very close, just still waiting on some minor things before the final assembly. My turbo blankets are on their way also.

post-241-0-08003900-1500686335_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-83923700-1500686349_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-23158300-1500686431_thumb.jpg

post-241-0-16681800-1500686454_thumb.jpg

Thats a gorgeous engine bay, In for the finale!!

Did you have to modify the Fitech 1200hp kit any to properly work with a blow through set up? I've been looking into the 600 hp kit and would like it to be future proof for the possibility of boosting later down the road.

The Fitech 1200 (30012) is absolutely built for boost in a blow through style. There is also a 2x4 1200hp model (30064) and a 600hp model (30004) which are also built with boost capabilities. Make sure you purchase one if these Power Adder models if you plan on boost in the future. Each one also works fine while NA.

• 2 weeks later...

That smoke is normal after wrapping the headers with fiberglass header wrap. It only takes a few warm-up and cool down cycles before it stops smoking altogether. I'm past that points so we aren't smoking anymore.