71 SS tail light extensions stainless

Rock

I was told a member here reproduces the upper chrome pieces on the taillight extensions, Does anyone know who that person is and how much it costs to do? I am looking at buying the extensions from Larry and his extensions are missing those pieces.

• Like 1

$400???? The cost just keeps going up. By the time I am done it will cost me $2500 to black out the tail panel. Maybe I should leave things alone....

I talked to Larry recently and he said he has been sick lately. He said the guy who made them is in his 80's now and doesn't know if he can still make them. I invited him to stop by the site and check out the possible demand for these pieces.

rob

• Like 1

If I could get them made for a reasonable price than I would proceed. $400 seems a little steep. My biggest issue right now is my wife's health which is eating up a lot of my spare money.

• Like 1

I almost bet any good machinist could make them... I will ask Richard Hartman or Phil here local, yes crew chief of funny car Tim wilkerson in nhra.

• Like 1

I wonder if I could buy a lower set and maybe grind off the lower tab and somehow weld a bolt stem on the stainless. Are those lower hockey sticks pot metal?

I almost bet any good machinist could make them... I will ask Richard Hartman or Phil here local, yes crew chief of funny car Tim wilkerson in nhra.

let me know if they want to attempt a set.

We are actually talking about the 71SS horizontal chrome strip that runs across the tail panel. It was exclusive to the 71SS and they are not reproduced.

post-1188-0-97126500-1471443312_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ted Williams sells the lower ones in Aluminum and the long one as a set. I have made my own out of them. And sorry I can't make you a set. You need to cut the flange off and reverse the left to the right and the right to the left. These pcs are aluminize and need to be removed. A bath of Drano will work. You need to keep checking them you don't want them in too long. You will see the aluminize coming off. Now the fun. you will notice the radius needs to be adjusted, that is the hard part. I got mine close. As far as the studs I would just go with 3M double face tape in Black. I did my own studs with JB Weld which will work but because the radius need to be pulled in and it's just too much pressure. I'm also adding the tape.

Now. Did you buy the taillight extensions from Larry? If you did could you send me pictures of the upper hole locations on the extensions. I would like up from the bottom of the extensions to the center of both holes and the same from the left side and right side to the center of both holes. Use a small tape measure because it will be flexible to get the hole near the radius. Measure both L and R extensions.

Thanks

Carl

mc7187@sbcglobal.net       The vendor that sells the Ted Williams stuff is www.luttyschevy.com and don't buy them from the Parts Place. The PP has them made and are not as good as the TW.

Ted Williams sells the lower ones in Aluminum and the long one as a set. I have made my own out of them. And sorry I can't make you a set. You need to cut the flange off and reverse the left to the right and the right to the left. These pcs are aluminize and need to be removed. A bath of Drano will work. You need to keep checking them you don't want them in too long. You will see the aluminize coming off. Now the fun. you will notice the radius needs to be adjusted, that is the hard part. I got mine close. As far as the studs I would just go with 3M double face tape in Black. I did my own studs with JB Weld which will work but because the radius need to be pulled in and it's just too much pressure. I'm also adding the tape.

Now. Did you buy the taillight extensions from Larry? If you did could you send me pictures of the upper hole locations on the extensions. I would like up from the bottom of the extensions to the center of both holes and the same from the left side and right side to the center of both holes. Use a small tape measure because it will be flexible to get the hole near the radius. Measure both L and R extensions.

Thanks

Carl

mc7187@sbcglobal.net       The vendor that sells the Ted Williams stuff is www.luttyschevy.com and don't buy them from the Parts Place. The PP has them made and are not as good as the TW.

I did not buy them. They were not usable without the upper pot metal pieces. I think if the way you are describing I could just use the ones I have. The double sided tape hold up pretty well?