Metal Inner Fenders

monte70z20

Can't seem to find any posts on the topic.  Please direct me if this information is already out there...greatly appreciated.  I was considering replacing my plastic fenders for metal ones.  Does anybody make these for a 70 Monte?  If not are the Chevelle ones hard to convert?  I've heard this has been done before. If anybody has done this, what mods does the conversion take to complete?  Thanks.

from what I have read ( and I have a set of metal ones yet to be installed) some holes may ne to be elongated and that's pretty much it.....

ref: http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7122-inner-fender-wells/

Yes, a few holes will need to be elongated. Also, you'll need to cut a hole for the turn signal wiring in each one and you'll need another hole to bolt to the long, inner fender brace that comes up from the lower part of the firewall. The rubber seals that go above the upper control arms are different, too.

Dan

One question: Why would you do that?

I replaced the cracked original plastic inner fenders on my 4-speed '70 with a new Monte-specific plastic set from the Parts Place.  Love 'em - easy to install and keep clean and shiney.

My '70 SS came to me with steel (Chevelle) inner fenders.  Hate 'em - very hard to reinstall once removed and hard to keep them shined up even after freshly repainted.

JMO, but I see no need or benefit to steel inner fenders.

• Like 1

You asked. ☺ The plastic cracks and some of us would rather not deal with that. I've found my metal ones are very easy to put in and take out with the fender in place. I just installed the passenger side a minute ago to mark a hole to drill.

Dan

I installed the plastic ones in a Monte I had years ago and all I remember was I over tightened them and cracked them right from the get go.  For this reason I want to try the metal option.  Thanks for all the replies and opinions, very helpful as always.

I have replacement plastic that are about 26 years old that need to be replaced again. Since my 71 is very stock, I will probably go with plastic. Everyone is different.

Bruce

Like Bruce said, "Everyone is different".  It all comes down to personal preference.  Also like Bruce, my car is totally totally stock so I went with the plastic inner fenders.  I have been extremely happy with them.  I have had them on the car now for 15 years and they look today the same as they did the day I installed them.  No cracks, no scratches and no problems at all.  No they don't shine up like painted metal but that is fine  because the look stock.

rob

• Like 1

That's good to hear about the plastic not cracking. I remember someone here had a pair crack after just a couple years. I like the looks of the plastic better, mainly because of the stock look. I bought my metal ones several years ago. If at that time I had been confident I could get 15 trouble free years out of the plastic inners, I would have gone that route. Thanks for the info.☺

Dan

the metal inner fenders add great strength to the front end  , i prefer over plastic , the metal are more part of the alignment of the car and should be installed with the entire front of the car loose , as part of the front end sheet metal alignment , they simply stiffen the entire car up front , we have used both , the plastic ones from the parts place are just simply plastic , they are not that original and add no real value to originality , we have installed many pairs of steel and if you go about it right they are not a big deal to install , just remember there is more variation in your fenders hood core support and body than the fender wells , so they will fit each 1/4 inch Monte different and it does take some amount of skill to install , where as the plastic can be twisted and stressed to fit  , as the car is driven and moves most plastic will crack or split somewhere over time

Leo

• Like 1

I also installed the steel one s,over the plastic they seem more rigid and stronger than the plastic ones, Ace hardware has the black plastic push plugs in various sizes to plug the additional holes that came with the steel inner fenders for that added touch,

• 1 year later...

How is the battery location/fitment with the Chevelle inner fenders, does it line the tray up to the radiator support like stock or does it sit farther back?

My '70 SS has steel Chevelle inner fenders and the battery is positioned exactly as shown in the photo below.  

post-567-0-48624300-1508876456_thumb.jpg

The battery tray bolts to the radiator support, so it mounts in the same place, no matter which inner fenders you use.

Dan

If I am not mistaken, my 70 battery tray is not only attached to the radiator support but also has an additional support that goes down and attaches to either the inner fenders or the inner well filler plate

rob

Yes. I didn't mean it attaches only to the radiator support. There's only one bolt to that.

Dan

Sorry Dan, I misunderstood your response.

rob