INTERIOR - changing dash color

I bought a good used dash for cheap. I noticed later that it was originally tan and had been dyed or painted black and is flaking a little in some spots. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to strip the old paint/dye safely so I can re-dye it correctly?

The reason I think it may be paint is that it is flaking and that it seems a little glossier than when dyed. However it is a nice even coat and if it wasn't for the minor flakes I wouldn't even have noticed that it was changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is actually in regards to a 78 Z/28

Dash.(Posting here because it is the same material as the Monte and figured the answer might help some of the Monte guys)

Do you have a local automotive paint store near by? If you do I would strongly recommend talking to them first. When I repainted my dash cover thats what I did. They pointed me in the right direction. If you decide to go solo, be careful on what cleaner you use. That plastic is not hard to mess up with to "hot" a cleaner. I went from a tan or saddle color dash to a black color. I was told to use rubbing alcohol and a very mild 3-M abrasive pad, very mild, and to lightly scrub the dash with the rubbing alcohol. They then told me to use a type of paint they sold there at thier store in very light coats. To heavy of a coat usually causes the paint to "fisheye". Fisheyeing is when the paint seperates on the surface in spots revealing the old color underneath. So when you go back to refinish, make sure you take your time and use very light coats of paint. I can't remember the brand name of the paint they sold me but they assured me that it was very tough paint, and it is The paint store was the only place I've ever seen it sold localy. It takes a very hard scratch to scrape it up. It's very friendly to use mild cleaners on it after it fully cures. I use Meguires dash wipes on mine. It turned out exellent.

Jon.

------------------

Go Mizzou Tigers!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

Buckets with Factory Tach

406 s/b, Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Airgap RPM Intake

350 Turbo Trans.

Eaton Posi Ten Bolt 3.73 gear

13Sec.@103MPH. 1/4 Mile

I think the paint you may have used was SEMs brand. I used it on my dash and the rest of the hard parts. I used their bonding clear in the first few parts. I would not do that again. It made the paint lift easy....

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

Thanks guys!

I have dyed parts before and SEM is what I used but I have not stripped it before.

I will be checking with the paint shop and the upholsterer but I just wanted to get some "less"-biased opinions before one of them try to sell me something.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any ideas chime in.

Yeh thats it, SEM. It worked great.

Jon.

------------------

Go Mizzou Tigers!!!

1970 Monte Carlo

Jaguar Racing Green

Buckets with Factory Tach

406 s/b, Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Airgap RPM Intake

350 Turbo Trans.

Eaton Posi Ten Bolt 3.73 gear

13Sec.@103MPH. 1/4 Mile