Anyone polish your grill?

V8Freak

Trying too clean up all that scuzzy white that these grills get over the years, tried a dremal but impossible too get in corners plus the different polishes I've been using aren't getting it 100%. I seen online guys use Coca Cola I may give that a shot with a tooth brush just seeing if anyone has any tricks

Take your time with a small pointed tapered file & clean up all the pits in the silver painted area. Then tape it off. polish the chrome & repaint the box grill area argent silver. any black area black semi or gloss & your done. Don't get to crazy with polish chrome area, It oem chrome over cast-pot metal. No triple plate back then.

Take your time with a small pointed tapered file & clean up all the pits in the silver painted area. Then tape it off. polish the chrome & repaint the box grill area argent silver. any black area black semi or gloss & your done. Don't get to crazy with polish chrome area, It oem chrome over cast-pot metal. No triple plate back then.

Does it look pretty good in that argent silver?

argent silver is only for the actual grill centers either slots or squares. Not the chrome. If you cant polish your chrome to satisfaction replate it,nos or try chrome powered coated but that only looks like aluminum.

Had the same issues with my 72 Grill.  50 some grates that had oxidized the chrome surrounding the grates.

I couldn't find any useful cleaners either.

I finally settled on a single edge razor blade after some experimentation to make sure I can use it effectively &

without damaging the chrome.  With the razor blade you can get right up to the edges and worked better than expected.

I started out lightly and repeated in same area with more pressure until the oxidization started lifting.  I just kept going

back over that area until I had removed that oxidization.  Polished and looks much better these days.

I spent a couple pretty good days doing this on mine until satisfied.

I hadn't tried to recondition the whole Grill assembly as I was pretty satisfied with it's appearance now.

The chrome was in pretty good condition also.  Didn't have many Blems popping up that would make

this much harder. 

Good luck on what ever method you decide provides the best results  :)

Doug

I have refurbished the grills on both of my '70's will good results.  Here's a link to a photo journal I made showing the process I used: Grille Refurbishing

After the Photobucket album loads, just click on the first photo and read the caption beneath.  Then click on the advance arrow to see the next photo and caption in sequence.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I have refurbished the grills on both of my '70's will good results. Here's a link to a photo journal I made showing the process I used: Grille Refurbishing

After the Photobucket album loads, just click on the first photo and read the caption beneath. Then click on the advance arrow to see the next photo and caption in sequence. Good luck!