Horseshoe shifter concern

Hello all. When I first got my Monte Carlo, the horseshoe shifter seemed tight and good to go; proper clicking into gear sounds, the shifter over the correct "gear label" when in that gear. My car sat for 2 & 1/2 months due to me needing to replace everything brake related on the car, but, now I got it back on the road 2 days ago. However, now when I am in drive, the shifter is over the 2nd gear "gear label." And, when I go from drive to neutral, I'd say the shifter moves 5-6 inches before it actually engages into neutral. If anyone has any ideas on what the issue is, how it can be fixed and / or what I will need to fix it or what I will need to do to fix it, please let me know. Side note, when I shift my horseshoe shifter into gears, a round piece on my steering column moves / rotates when you move the shifter from gear to gear.(Hopefully this helps.)Thanks to all that comment on this thread and can help me. Have a good one!