upgrading alternator for BBh

have read the posts in the archives about switching to cs130's. They seem to be for the small block. how do can you if you have a long shaft or short shaft. Sophie has a SS454 and wants big amp in the trunk. any help will be welcome.

CS130 bolts right on the stock mounts for the BBC. You need to fool with the spacer that positions the alt fore and aft on the long bolt that it pivots on. The long spacer goes over the long bolt that the alternator rotates on. If I recall right you need to shorten the stock length small block spacer and then fab up a smaller spacer (or use some washers) to replace the amount you ground off the long spacer. The long spacer needs to be shorter to move the alt foreward and the short sleeve is placed "in back" of the alternator to take up any space caused by shortening the long spacer.

I fear this sounds like some kind of retard writing this but it really is easy. Lets try a different explanation...this might be clearer. Position the alternator on the pivot bolt with no spacers. Tighten the adjuster bolt into the stock BBC alternator bracket drawing the alternator toward the front of the car. Remember the CS130 belt adjustment bolt is a METRIC bolt!!!!!!! Now look at the pivot bolt. it should be obvious how much you need to shave off the long sleeve and what size the additional short sleeve has to be.

All this is for a long shaft water pump installation. I don't think any MC had a short pump. Once you have the belt adjuster nut tight and the alt flange snugged up to the slot in the brack your alt pulley should be aligned with your other pulleys perfectly.

Hey Hey

Ls I bought a 71 with a 402( for the motor tranc and rear) and I think it has a short waterpump (from what I was told on the space between the pully and the pump)so when we order are pully kit we got it for the short

Dave

I am having trouble understanding your post Dave. Are you asking if you should order a short water pump version of a CS130 because your engine has a short water pump? Are you asking if Monte Carlos came with short waterpumps? Are you not sure if you have a short or a long water pump and therefore asking what to order?

First and foremost we gotta know what pump is on there. There is no end of info about how to tell a short pump from a long pump. If your engine has a short water pump (I don't think it should from the factory but there are a lot of cars out there that have been cobbed together by Bubba in the Backyard with whatever parts are available at the time) then all my info is useless to you till you get a long pump. I have no idea what happens when you try to load a CS 130 onto brackets for a short pump. I dont know if there are short pump compatible CS130's might be both short and long pump installations could use the same CS130..I have no idea.

For the sake of clarity...My car has a long pump, power steering A/C and the AIR system still intact. My alternator is on the passengers side of the engine and it is mounted using all stock GM BBC brackets the only modification I made are outlined above. Under the alternator is an AIR pump and all stock pulleys are used on the engine. I simply bolted the alternator onto the same brackets that were on the car when it had a stock external requlator 1972 low output alternator. I just did the rework as noted and the pulleys and everything just work.

I think you are saying you have purchased a car just to get the 402 and you think that the engine has a short pump. Could well be it does like I said there is a lot of half baked work out there. You gotta determine what brackets and pump you have before you go any further.

If it were me and that engine has a short pump just move on and get the right parts. All you are doing is buying into a parts compatibility nightmare if you stick with that short pump (assuming it is a short pump in the first place). The short pumps went away after 1967 or 1968 I honestly don't know when. Whatever the case an MC should not have a short pump so if you donor car has a short pump it is a mismatch for the car.

I am having trouble understanding your post Dave. Are you asking if you should order a short water pump version of a CS130 because your engine has a short water pump? Are you asking if Monte Carlos came with short waterpumps? Are you not sure if you have a short or a long water pump and therefore asking what to order?

First and foremost we gotta know what pump is on there. There is no end of info about how to tell a short pump from a long pump. If your engine has a short water pump (I don't think it should from the factory but there are a lot of cars out there that have been cobbed together by Bubba in the Backyard with whatever parts are available at the time) then all my info is useless to you till you get a long pump. I have no idea what happens when you try to load a CS 130 onto brackets for a short pump. I dont know if there are short pump compatible CS130's might be both short and long pump installations could use the same CS130..I have no idea.

For the sake of clarity...My car has a long pump, power steering A/C and the AIR system still intact. My alternator is on the passengers side of the engine and it is mounted using all stock GM BBC brackets the only modification I made are outlined above. Under the alternator is an AIR pump and all stock pulleys are used on the engine. I simply bolted the alternator onto the same brackets that were on the car when it had a stock external requlator 1972 low output alternator. I just did the rework as noted and the pulleys and everything just work.

I think you are saying you have purchased a car just to get the 402 and you think that the engine has a short pump. Could well be it does like I said there is a lot of half baked work out there. You gotta determine what brackets and pump you have before you go any further.

If it were me and that engine has a short pump just move on and get the right parts. All you are doing is buying into a parts compatibility nightmare if you stick with that short pump (assuming it is a short pump in the first place). The short pumps went away after 1967 or 1968 I honestly don't know when. Whatever the case an MC should not have a short pump so if you donor car has a short pump it is a mismatch for the car.