20 years ago today...

I purchased my 70 Monte on Nov 17, 1996 when I was 19 years old. It had 47,500 miles on it and all original. A lot has changed in my life during the last 20 years but driving this car still transports me back in time.

Here's a photo of me washing it for the first time in early 1997

IMG_2890.JPG

• Like 5

20 years is a long time to own a car, congrats. 

Every time I look at or take mine for a ride I relive my youth. Wish I would have taken more pictures of me and my Monte when I was younger but cameras back then were not like they are today.

• Like 2

I've been reflecting on the journey this car has taken me on. All the road trips, honeymoon trip, FGMCC meets, getting to know so many great people in this club. A lot of great memories for sure. I have over 15,000 miles in this car just travelling for Monte meets. I rolled over the 100,000 mark on the odometer for the first time while driving through Northern California on my way home from the 2012 Western Meet. I was asked last summer what it was worth but told them it doesn't matter since it is worth a whole lot more than market value to me.

• Like 2

Aaron, I know the feeling ,I bought my 72 custom ,w, car on june 15th 1980 ,from my parents next door neighbor who ordered the car and I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon, Roger

• Like 2

I know how you feel - Bought mine in 1988 at the age of 18!   Almost sold it a couple times but glad I didn't as its part of the family and my life, just like you described!

• Like 1

I paid $4,200 CAD for it which was about $2,800 USD at the time. With the paint I did in 2000 and the new interior I'm installing, I will have roughly $15k CAD invested in it.

I was wondering if you still had the Eldorado in the background. was that a '69? Love those Caddy's

Eldorado?

That was my 76 Cutlass S. My Dad purchased it new in 76 and it became my first car. Black with white interior with white swivel bucket seat interior. The transmission broke only a couple months after I got the 70 Monte. I guess it was jealous, LOL. We parted it out in the spring of 97 as it had 265,000 miles and had quite a bit of rust.

Cutlass.jpg

Cutlass2.jpg

Cutlass4.jpg

• Like 1

Eldorado?

That was my 76 Cutlass S. My Dad purchased it new in 76 and it became my first car. Black with white interior with white swivel bucket seat interior. The transmission broke only a couple months after I got the 70 Monte. I guess it was jealous, LOL. We parted it out in the spring of 97 as it had 265,000 miles and had quite a bit of rust.

My second company car was a Cutlass S.  It had a 350 4Brl and posi-traction.  That car could really move and it was great in snow.  Later we purchased a 1976 Cutlass Supreme 2door.  I put a trailer hitch on it and we used it to tow my Model A Ford from Jacksonville Florida to Pittsburgh, Pa.  A few days later the transmission in the Cutlass Supreme gave out.  

rob