Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
scrappydo

70 Monte front sway bar size

Can't believe how hard this info is to find on the net. I have a 70 M.C. it was a 402 car. What size front sway bar comes on these? My calipers says 1.0" I cannot verify this as correct for the car , but the calipers do not lie. It looks original. A guy wants one for a Chevelle and argues that the size is wrong. Looking on the net, One guy says it should be 15/16 (.9375) another 1 1/8 (1.125), yet others say 1 1/16 (1.0625) and 1 1/4(1.250)? I am sure I will get the right answer here. educate a Camaro guy please.Thanks.

GM Heritage shows the sway bar(s) at .937" diameter.  Now there was the F-41 suspension that was standard in both year SS Models & 1972 Custom.

That/those Sway Bars boasted a larger diameter than Base Models.  Correct me if my info is wrong but I believe the F-41 Suspension front Sway Bar was 1 1/8"

and was larger diameter than the rear (which I can't remember).

The different diameters you initially got probably stem from confusion on Standard & F-41 Suspension differences & or any difference between front/rear diameters.

Again, going off memory & can't verify my number(s).  Maybe another can & correct mine.  ;)

Doug

15/16 inch would be correct unless it has the F41 suspension option. Then it would have 1 1/8 inch front sway bar. If the car has boxed rear control arms then it would have the 1 1/8 inch front bar.

My 71 350 had a 7/8" (or was it 15"16"?) but now has a 1-1/8" Ft bar.

Something I actually did change!

For a small block or big block the F41 parts are all the same.

The original 15/16" diameter front sway bar was also the same for either small or big block cars.  My original '70 front sway bar also measures 1" on a dial caliper but only because I liberally coated it with POR-15 when I rebuilt the front suspension several years ago.

post-567-0-25082600-1486512778_thumb.jpg