Self-learning fuel injection systems-FiTech, Sniper, EZ-EFI

Paul Bell

I just wanted to share with you folks a few things I've learned about these systems. I've studied them deeply, participated in a few forums and there's a few caveats to be aware of.

All these systems need decent idle vacuum. Holley states 6 inches for their Sniper and F.A.S.T. says 9 inches. Some users have had problems because they weren't warned of this pre-sale. The folks at F.A.S.T. will tell you they work best with single plane intake manifolds. All these systems include a O2 sensor that's easily installed and need some sort of high pressure fuel pump. FiTech and Holley both offer a small tank with a pump to be mounted near the engine that can be kept filled from a stock engine mounted low pressure carb fuel pump eliminating the need for a sumped fuel tank and running high pressure fuel lines.

The FiTech systems are good-when they work. Too often the parts are poor and their support runs from very good to non-existent. Their Fuel Command tank also has problems. Overheating, boiling fuel into the return line, failed pumps... They keep costs down with cheap components. Some people are lucky and FiTech works well, others are overwhelmed by never ending problems. Systems range from simple entry level 400 HP to all the bells & whistles 1,200 HP. Their 400 HP system and the mid-way 800 HP systems will NOT control ignition timing.

The F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI systems are very good, but need more vacuum and are costly. Their 2.0 system has a fuel pressure sensor but it does NOT have any bearing on the ECM's control of the system. It only gives the operator a fuel pressure reading on the screen. Therefore, don't think it's a "better" system because it monitors fuel pressure-it does not. Their original EZ is good for 600 HP, the EZ2, 1,200.

The Holley Sniper system is good for 650 HP with a 1,200 HP system coming 1/17. Functions down to 6 inches of vacuum and it's the same cost as the FiTech stuff. No problems in usability, parts quality and support. One of the engineers for it is active in a thread on the Chevelles forums.

These systems work well. Instant starting, even the first time. Engines run better, exhausts smell better and fuel economy improves. These systems are a great replacement for carburetors and they're constantly adjusting for optimum performance. Their screens show operating parameters in real time and allow easy adjustments.

My opinion is the Holley Sniper is better than the FiTech system at the same cost and on the level with the F.A.S.T. system at about one third the cost.

I wish I did a little more research before I brought the one I did years ago :(. It looks like that group (even their forum page) closed up. Hopefully next year the other Monte will be started and can get the bug on that EFI dial in other wise its back to a 750 Holley unless the funds is there for one of the other system.

I wish I did a little more research before I brought the one I did years ago :(.

What system do you have? It's only recent that these systems started getting refined to be as trouble free as they are today. I had the Holley ProJection4 when it first came out in the 1980's. My motor ran better with it than any carb I ever tried.

Thanks for your input Paul! I also have been looking into these the last couple weeks.  Did you end up buying one and if so, how did it work?  I am curious as to the difference one would make over my Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS with the ever so popular hesitation at the start.

Your post was very informational and appreciated!

I like it a lot. Very expandable. Expensive but worth it. I like that you can go advanced with CNP and sequential injection like an LS system-but you'll need 24x crank and 1x cam reluctors. The aftermarket offers them for everything EXCEPT MkIV big blocks.

I'm stuck at do I go with the Terminator EFI basic kit ($1,800) or the Sniper half the cost but gives the same option as the Terminator system. They both offer the ability to control elec fans which the current system doesn't nor control timing. With the current system I already have in place an EFI pump and a return style regulator, which will come in handy with the Terminator system plus I like the fuel line layout on the Terminator vs the Sniper where the feed and return comes off the back of the system. I've been comparing both systems plus the MSD and even looked at the Quick fuel system but the Holley's keep bring me option that the others don't have (mainly the elec fan control).

The Terminator base system has a nicer looking throttle body and down the line, you can upgrade to the better ECM if you might go to a 4L60E or 4L80E transmission. BUT it's only good to 600 HP. The Sniper is good for 650 and later, 1,200. And the lower price of the Sniper is nice too.

MSD has gone through some changes over the years with many things being from import suppliers. While I'm certain Holley does this too, MSD has had some quality issues. I feel that Holley may have a higher quality standard for their parts. AND Holley is the EFI of NASCAR so I think that says something.

I don't have to worry about the HP level on this motor. 427 tall deck (stock form with standard deck intake) don't have high HP levels but they have lots of torque which is one thing the old system ask for is a torque value vs a CI value. If I do make a drive train change it will probably be to a 700r4 or even a 200r4. Currently have a 350 with a shift kit, and 2200 stall behind the 427, which then goes to a Ford 9" with 3.90 gears and a very big tire (33x22x15).

I'm watching several threads at the Chevelles forum.

As I recall, the FiTech system doesn't allow much total timing, 30 degrees I believe.

A bunch of people have installed the Holley Sniper and have reported running issues when using the timing control feature. Perhaps Holley will fix this (it is a relatively new product) but for now it's best not to use the feature.

Few people have used the F.A.S.T. EZ system so I don't know how good-or bad their timing control is but I would imagine it's works.

Paul everything I've seen in regards to the FITech is the same thing I saw with my current system. Makes me wonder if the same people behind FITech is the same ones that started the PowerInjection system. When on the Professional Products website they list the system but that's about it and place like Summit still carry it. Still playing with the ideal of the Terminator system with the 3.5" screen due to the feed and return being on the same side of the motor vs the Sniper which has it on each side of the TBI. Just hope I don't drag my feet to long and miss the sale price.

Paul I pulled the trigger tonight on a new EFI. Ended up wit the Terminator Stealth in the classic finish so it will give the look of being a 750 Holley probably have it after the New Year. I paid $1,844 shipped compared to going to Summit who wanted $2,100 for the same system and it would have been coming from Holley.

• Like 1

I like the ideal that the fuel lines stayed on the passenger side of the motor vs one being on the drivers side and the other on the passenager side. The separate ECM can he updated to allow boosted options or even spary. I know with the Powerinjection 3 system if the ECM failed the whole system has to be sent back, with the ECM being separate that is the only item that should be sent back. The slealth comes with the 3.5" color display just like the Sniper system have the same style harness but can put the ECM either inside the car away from the heat or under the fender. With the air cleaner off it will give the look of a classic Holley carb with metering blocks and center hung fuel bowls.

• Like 1

Thanks Darren. This looks to be the original EZ-EFI system. Many people had problems with it when they came out, I wonder if it's been improved.

People are reporting problems with the Sniper system when trying to use it's ignition timing feature. Looks to work good with timing from an external source.

• 1 year later...