Rear Tail light Bezel paint crossbar color

I have been working on my rear tail lights this past month and part of it was to look for a trim color that would match the closet with color on the cross bars of the 71/72 tail light bezels.

I believe I have come very very close!

Check out the pic & let me know what you think.  The reconditioned piece is the one I painted.  The NOS piece is untouched and how factory made it.

My paint is not as silky smooth as the NOS piece as you can tell from the pic.  Need to figure out how to get this color into a spray can where application would be smooth & silky.  Other than the rougher looking texture, I believe with the naked eye, very difficult to see any difference.  

The paint I got at Hobby Town USA and is Testers "Turn Signal Red".

I am going to experiment a bit with the paint, trying to thin out just enough to lay smoothly when applied.  I suspect it will change the pigment a little depending on how much I have to thin it.

Anyhooo, here is a pic of my 1st try at matching.  Anyone with any idea how to smooth out the texture during application, chime in.   ;)

Doug

post-458-0-57641200-1485297890_thumb.jpg

Appreciate it Steve.  I did another one that I diluted the brush on enamel paint with thinner and definitely improved the finish texture.  I am getting better at it each time I try.  One of the cross bars shows no brush strokes!  Only 3 more to go........ ;)

Doug

Doug. Check down on this Restores page and you will find this topic "Red Paint On 71-72 Tail Light Bezels" The correct paint is Dupli-Color Red Metalcast. It comes in a spray can and it's transparent. Vaughn gave me a heads up about it. I'm sure you will be pleased.

Carl

• Like 1

Here they are Doug this is the second set I did, like I said the taping was a pain but came out pretty good I think.

Those look very nice Steve. :cool:   Hope I can duplicate them.  I will try the Dupli-Color Red Metal Cast paint Carl suggested.

Doug