automatic to manual console questions

V8Freak

so I have this piece for my console and not sure how it is supposed to fit, just doesn't seem to sit properly I am wondering if anyone has any experience in assembling one of these.

The second picture shows the piece in question

post-293-0-43123900-1485558802_thumb.jpg

post-293-0-03566500-1485558813_thumb.jpg

post-293-0-68494800-1485558823_thumb.jpg

I don't recognize that part, Matt - it's not on either of my consoles (one's for an automatic, the other for a 4-speed).  I think you may have an extraneous part from somewhere else.  Looks like you have the correct bezel insert for your 4-speed.  The console is the same for both except for the bezel.

The first and third picture is how it should look for a 70-72. The slider piece shown in the last picture is not used for a 70-72. 70-72 used the piece in the first picture that  is called the dust tunnel. You do not use both those pieces together. The slider was used on 68 and 69 Chevelle's and Elcamino's.

Ah ok, I still feel like I'm missing something... that opening is so big I don't want to drop my stuff down into oblivion lol. Is there some sort of boot or something that hugs the shifter and bolts to console so you don't drop things down there?

As shown on page 533 of the '70 Factory Assembly Manual, you need parts 11, 12 and 15 to close that gaping hole.  You can see parts 11 & 12 in the photo below. Part 15 is a simple black plastic box open on the top and bottom.  I have one in my console, although it doesn't show up well in the second photo below.

post-567-0-75348600-1485622780_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-26874900-1485622804_thumb.jpg

That's it eh? Rubber boot and that metal piece to hold it down and then just the dust shield?

Yep, unless you install a short-throw shifter, you will need plenty of open space to move the shifter arm around in.  

I don't know how much travel a factory Muncie shifter arm has because mine was already converted to Hurst when I bought it.  My Hurst shifter was so biased to the left side of that opening that it was difficult to get it into reverse because the shifter arm slammed into the left side of that dust cover.  I removed the two 1/2" NF bolts from the shifter handle, inserted two 1/2" spacers and a couple of slightly longer new 1/2" NF bolts to offset the handle to the right a bit - worked beautifully,  It is critical to torque those bolts down real good to prevent the shifter arm from working loose from its base.

Which shifter will you be using on your 4-speed?

• 1 month later...

I bought the hurst conversion, same problem I'm having right now. Can't get it into reverse. I'll have to do what you suggested also. Something seems to be missing. Hard to believe nothing seals the shifter to the console. I'll upload a pic next day or two

I bought the hurst conversion, same problem I'm having right now. Can't get it into reverse. I'll have to do what you suggested also. Something seems to be missing. Hard to believe nothing seals the shifter to the console. I'll upload a pic next day or two

Matt, the shifter handle is "sealed" to the transmission hump with the flexible rubber boot and the console with the dust cover insert simply sits down over the rubber boot.  I don't seem to have a photo of my offset shifter handle, but it is very easy modification to do.

post-567-0-39407400-1490492753_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-46914200-1490492769_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-11229800-1490492829_thumb.jpg

Actually ended up cutting the shifter piece that bolts to the transmission. Over lapped it and welded it back on. Moved it out enough but still just grazes the console so now I think I just have to live with it...

I installed a console in my Monte last winter but did not experience that problem. The console is original Monte console I purchased from Leo Konik. I had an older Hurst shifter that the handle was welded on, but I could not use it due to the "offset" of the shift handle was smaller than the new one I bought. Plus the new one the handle is bolted on. I did not have specs to mount console but had pictures and a video from all angles from an original 4 spd Monte. With that I was able to see where the shifter location was while in neutral, and did my best to replicate it. I did find a measurement to the rear mount from a Chevelle web site forum and found out my original layout was very close to the measurement. To be exact my first placement of the rear bracket was within 1/8 inch.  I made sure the console was level, and centered between the bucket seats. When shifter is in reverse I have 1/2" space between handle and side of console. But as stated in an earlier post Hurst does sell a spacer which is "splined" to match handle that will move handle to the right.

John S