Axle casting number

Deni2nd

What year car is it supposed to be from? A CCW coded rear was use in 1970. It was a 3.31:1 posi rear end. I see no code that is just CC for a 70-72 Monte. I see a CC code for a 1973, 74 and 75 Monte Carlo which is a 2.73:1 posi rear end.

That's the reason for the question

I don't know what year or for that matter what car it came from

When I purchased my car I got lots of different parts this rear being one of them.

Looking to identify it so maybe I can sell it

The spring perch is directly over the axle unlike a Monte where the springs perch is mounted forward. The shocks on this rear also go in front of the axle as opposed to the rear of the axle like on a Monte

That's the reason for the question

I don't know what year or for that matter what car it came from

When I purchased my car I got lots of different parts this rear being one of them.

Looking to identify it so maybe I can sell it

The spring perch is directly over the axle unlike a Monte where the springs perch is mounted forward. The shocks on this rear also go in front of the axle as opposed to the rear of the axle like on a Monte

I see a CC code for a 1973, 74 and 75 Monte Carlo which is a 2.73:1 posi rear end. The code you posted was CC 035 1. This code should be made up of 8 digits if it is a 73 or 74 rear end. It will be 7 digits if it is a 75 rear end. The 8th digit for a 73 or 74 rear end tells you the posi traction source. If there is no letter after the shift it was built on, or a dash it is not a posi. If there is a E it is an Eaton posi, if there is a G it is a /chevrolet gear and axle posi, if it has a O it is an Oldsmobile posi and if it has a W it is a Warner Motive posi. You only posted 6 digits. From what you posted I get, 

CC            035             1

?               Feb. 4th        First shift

CC is a code that was used for 73,74,75  Monte Carlo as a 2.73:1  posi. Looks to me that you are missing one more letter in the area by the CC and possibly one more after the shift. Posting pictures always helps a lot. If the code is really CC,  then now we need a letter for the plant it came from. It will be the third letter in the sequence. Otherwise we need a letter before the CC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming the 3 letter code should match that on the engine as well?  for example, if my 454 has CRN, should the axle match?

Mike, I've never heard that there is a direct relationship between the engine code and the axle code, but there may be one.  In any case, they don't "match" on my '70.  The engine code is CKR (402/4 LS3 330 hp Manual transmission) but the axle code is CCF (3.31) both of which agree with the RPOs listed on the Build Sheet..