NK2 Deluxe steering wheel option

Mike Goodman

Not sure which wheel you are speaking of based on code given.  But.....

1970 Montes came with the standard wheel or an optional cushion grip wheel with three split brushed metal spokes and a rubber wheel

1971 & 72 came with the standard wheel or a 4 spoke wheel (similar to 71 & 72 Camaros.

Could it be that the NK-2 optional steering wheel was standard on the Custom? I am pretty sure it was an available option for the 71 and 72 Monte Carlo, Chevelle and Elcamino on all models. This wheel came out in the 71 model year. The Custom Monte Carlo was a 72 option, not offered In 70 or 71, as far as I know. I do not think many chose this option. Seldom see this wheel.

72customsteer.jpg

I have that NK-2 wheel in storage> Nice condition but real sticky in your hand. I have used GOOP SOAP in the past to unstick it. Does do the trick but does not last real long.

Any other ways to get a permanent fix?

Carl

From what I understand the NK2 wheel with cursive monte carlo script was only on the 72 custom unless it had comfortilt. If it had the tilt option the 72 custom had the Nk4 which is the 4 spoke. My custom has the Nk4 as well as the tilt option

Here is the optional cushion grip wheel for 1970 Monte's

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/Chevrolet-MonteCarlo-1970_p-7928-cushion-grip-steering-wheel-70-chevelle-el-camino-mc-chevrolet-w-hub-cont-cap-4033-540-701s.aspx

It is my understanding also that the NK2 wheel was standard on 1972 Monte Carlo Customs and not available on any other Monte's.  Similar to the 3/4" belt molding along top of door.  Many have added it ..... but it was standard only on 1972 Monte Carlo Customs and not an available option for other Monte's.

Dan

Here is the optional cushion grip wheel for 1970 Monte's

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/Chevrolet-MonteCarlo-1970_p-7928-cushion-grip-steering-wheel-70-chevelle-el-camino-mc-chevrolet-w-hub-cont-cap-4033-540-701s.aspx

It is my understanding also that the NK2 wheel was standard on 1972 Monte Carlo Customs and not available on any other Monte's.  Similar to the 3/4" belt molding along top of door.  Many have added it ..... but it was standard only on 1972 Monte Carlo Customs and not an available option for other Monte's.

Dan

Dan, it was my understanding that the wide 3/4" belt molding along the bottom of the side windows WAS an option on other First Gen's

rob

message for MIKE GOODMAN IS THE 71 SS STILL  FOR SALE YOU POSTED ABOUT LAST YEAR

You should send Mike a private message rather than changing the direction of this discussion.

I had a '72 parts car that was not a Custom, and it had the belt line trim. Pretty sure it an option in '71 also. I don'the remember about '70.

Dan

Thank you for the information. The steering wheel that is on this car looks like any other 71-72 Steering wheel but is not smooth. The steering wheel has the same gain like texture as the horn pad. The wood grain strip on the pad has the same pattern and appearance as the metal dash cover. I tried to upload a photo but it keeps saying that file is too large. 

Yes my small block custom also has the NK2...it is comfortable enough and just fine for me..but being the only first gen i've owned my sample size is non existent...however on that chronically sticky wheel  issue-that would drive me absolutely nuts!!  

it would have to be rectified and quickly..maybe someone used a very harsh solvent on it softening the material and permanently altering the surface..uugh!

Yes my small block custom also has the NK2...it is comfortable enough and just fine for me..but being the only first gen i've owned my sample size is non existent...however on that chronically sticky wheel  issue-that would drive me absolutely nuts!!  

it would have to be rectified and quickly..maybe someone used a very harsh solvent on it softening the material and permanently altering the surface..uugh!

This is common with some types of old steering wheels. My 80 Malibu was like that. My door panels in my 70 did the same thing making them hard to keep clean. I think after a period of time, certain types of vinyl start to break down and they get sticky.

Mike Goodman, the steering wheel that you described is a 1973 and newer GM wheel. The original  hard epoxy style wheel may have cracked as most of them do. Then it was replaced by a 1973 and newer Chevrolet steering wheel, which looks almost like a 71/72 style, but is made of a hard rubber with a grain pattern on it. Then they took the 71/72 Monte Carlo center horn bar and installed it on the 1973 and newer steering wheel. This swap was very common years ago. It was an easy way to get rid of that cracked steering wheel. Now you had a wheel that will never crack.

Aaron good point...I didn't think in that direction...as material science wasn't nearly   what it is now-sometimes because of the timeless value and enjoyment these cars provide, one might forget we are dealing with half-century old technology in most areas of these machines-maybe a binder or stabilizer has left the stage,and the materials are breaking down to there base...not to dwell on it,but I'm still imagining how annoying that would be-like someone smeared honey on it...oh boy!!!  Brian