Swap bench for buckets

sredmyer

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I actually posted about that one previously here.  Problem with that one is he want too much for it and the interior is jade green.

Steve, I'm glad you lost interest in the car from New Hampshire, I offered them a bunch less money and they took it. I'm thrilled I was able to by it and yes the green interior wouldn't be my first pick it's not that bad. Good luck with your search.

Steve, I'm glad you lost interest in the car from New Hampshire, I offered them a bunch less money and they took it. I'm thrilled I was able to by it and yes the green interior wouldn't be my first pick it's not that bad. Good luck with your search.

That is a truly nice car.  I am glad some one from here got it! 

As mentioned in a previous post, I actually found and bought a triple black 1970 SS.  It is a nice car but it is not in nearly as good shape as the one you bought (will need a fair amount of restoration) but like yours it is a numbers matching documented car. 

While I am starting to question the wisdom of not buying one that was already nearly perfect, I wanted a car that was at least partly a project as I will enjoy doing the work.  Problem is I probably will end up with significantly more $$ in this car than I would have had I bought one that was already done. 

• Like 1

While I am starting to question the wisdom of not buying one that was already nearly perfect, I wanted a car that was at least partly a project as I will enjoy doing the work.  Problem is I probably will end up with significantly more $$ in this car than I would have had I bought one that was already done. 

Yes, you undoubtedly will ... but how will you ever bond with it if you never do much to make it uniquely your own?  I have more than double the original purchase price in my '70 4-speed but wouldn't take that for it right now.  Have fun doing what you want and the way you want to do it!

Dennis - your situation (2 different cars) has just about convinced me to buy a second car (likely the silver one I found originally). 

The plan will be to restore this black one to as close to perfect as finances will allow, then I will use the second car to drive and enjoy.  This seems like the only way to meet all of my desires.  On the one hand I would really like to have a rare car (like my SS) perfectly restored.  On the other hand, I want a car I can drive and enjoy.  If I am able to get the black SS to the point I want, it will be a garage/trailer queen and will rarely see the out doors let alone pavement.  The silver car I originally found would not be a good candidate for such a restore project because it is not numbers matching or documented.  That said, it has been previously restored (1993 I believe) and is still in very good shape.  It is also very nearly exactly the same as the car I had in high school and has a nicely enhanced motor...will be a lot of fun to drive.

I just have to find the funds for the second car.  If things go according to plan (they seldom do) I should be able to swing the second car by June then I just have to hope he still has it :)

That sounds like a fantastic plan, Steve!  I wish you the best in pulling it off.  I doubt you'll ever be satisfied until you own that gorgeous Cortez Silver BBC '70 you found so I hope it lasts.  

I'm kinda glad my two '70s aren't ever in the same location at the same time - that way I never have to decide which one to drive.  Both are excellent drivers so I just enjoy them individually.  I've got three small projects lined up for my SS so I am anxious to get back to MN and get started on them before warm weather sets in up there.

That is a truly nice car. I am glad some one from here got it!

As mentioned in a previous post, I actually found and bought a triple black 1970 SS. It is a nice car but it is not in nearly as good shape as the one you bought (will need a fair amount of restoration) but like yours it is a numbers matching documented car.

While I am starting to question the wisdom of not buying one that was already nearly perfect, I wanted a car that was at least partly a project as I will enjoy doing the work. Problem is I probably will end up with significantly more $$ in this car than I would have had I bought one that was already done.

I am glad to have it. I have many projects planned for it as I also want to restore it back to factory stock. Good luck with the SS restoration.