Instrument Panel Bezel Restoration?

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

As I evaluate things to do with the Monte, I am considering refreshing my Dash Bezel but don't want to complicate it to much.

So, anyone do this using a product that brightens and cleans at same time or what was your experience.

I couldn't find anything using the search function.

Thanx for any suggestions.......................... :)

Doug

First thing I thought Doug was asking about is the stuff that was chromed when new, but after a few years looks flat or has eve come off.

Probably because I had just asked if they chrome the entire plastic dash, then tape off and paint the majority, a color.

Bruce

Sorry, pretty vague.  I am referring to the Wood Grain Panel.  Mine had dulled significantly and am looking to regain some of it's luster.

I don't want to use something that will make it worse when applied or later on down the road.

Sorry again for the poor details............... :fart:

Doug

First attempt at Dash Bezel restoration.  I used the Mothers Back to Black Cleaner first and then applied the Mothers Back to Black Restorer.  The pic is just after application.  I plan on doing at least one more time.

One thing I learned from the Cleaner!   Don't apply & let sit as it will start dissolving the paint.  I learned this on my Test Bezel I have as an xtra.  While it had no effect on the White Lighter Identification letters, I was not concerned until I noticed the Windshield Wiper/Washer White Identification Numbers dissolving.  Still can be seen but no longer as Bold as before.

Thanx again Dan for the suggestion.  It did make a difference. :)

Doug    

post-458-0-22732400-1487219916_thumb.jpg

Dan,

I have a pretty good picture of it when I removed the entire assy. from the car with pic taken previously.  It is pretty dark............

Mothers makes both a Cleaner & Restored.  I inadvertently bought the Cleaner without realizing it wasn't the restorer.  Kinda glad I did as I believe the cleaner enhanced the Restorer appearance.

Doug

post-458-0-75243100-1487282677_thumb.jpg

Be careful with the cleaning agents on that burlwood insert. It's an ink transfer and you can literally wipe it off with a cleaning agent that is too aggressive. It should have a dull clear coat covering it, but time can break down those clear coats and not offer it the protection it once had.