Rear springs / spacer

MAQ's72

Hey guy's,

I am about to order new rear springs for my sagging rear end. I like to raise it enough to add 255/60 15 or maybe a 275/60/15 but don't want to add air susp. These would be on my stock 15X7" Rallys .... Would a stock new rear springs with a 1" spacer due? or the load leveling spring they offer? give me the added height I need to clear ? Also... Do I need to go to a 8" wide rim in the rear to go that wide ? I'm going with a narrower tire in the front, like 235/60/15 and will replace the front sprigs also. But going to do the back first.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311408457103?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351462530020?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks guys,

Sounds like some of you have used the 1' spacer with success so definitely will purchase a set as well as the new springs. I have not had much luck finding a set of 15X8" Rally rims with 5" backspacing on ebay, most are all metric now and have even less than the 4.5 the stock one have. Any references on the rear rims with 5" backspacing? I prefer to stay with the stock rally look.

Mike, you have raised two separate, yet related, issues: spring replacement and non-stock tire/wheel replacement. About six years ago, I installed non-stock wheels/tires and air bags on my '70 4 speed and more recently installed new springs on my '70 SS.

I can say with certainty that 15 X 8" wheels with 5" backspace will work well on the rear with 275x60 tires.  I wouldn't even think about using a wheel with less than a 5" backspace for that tire unless you want to take a sawzall or big hammer to the lip of your rear wheelwells. BTW, I doubt you will need any spacer to run that tire on the rear, especially if you install new Moog 5379s.  If you are looking for a slightly raked stance (rear higher than the front), a spacer will certainly help, but I feel a more versatile solution is to install the Air Lift 1000 system.  It only costs $100 or less and will give you the ability to adjust the height of Monte's rear under any load conditions.  You can even use individual lines and valves to have independent pressures for side to side load or height variances. 

Regarding front wheels and tires, you should be fine with a 15 x 7" wheel with 4.5" backspace using either a 235x60 or 245x60 tire.  Since I wanted to run the wider 255x60 tire on front, I went with a 4" backspace to keep the tire away from the frame at full steering lock.  I found that a 1" spacer in the front springs kept the larger tire from rubbing on the inner fender on tight compressed turns like driveway entry.  Another reason I went with a 4" backspace on the front 7" rims is so I could use 3" deep trim rings on both front and rear (5" backspace on the rear 8" rims also allows the deeper 3" trim rings).

I ordered all new rims, trim rings and derby caps from David's Rally Wheels Inc in San Jose, CA. because he knows his products and their application cold and will put together a package deal for you that is exactly what you need for the tire sizes you want to run.  I'm sure prices have gone up since late 2010, but I paid $505 for everything including shipping to Florida.  You might want to check him out at this LINK.

If your Monte currently has sagging stock rear springs, you might be interested in the photo journal I made of replacing stock rear springs with Moog 5379s on my '70 SS.  You can access it at this LINK.  Notice the side-by-side comparisons of the height and rod diameter of the stock spring vs. the Moog 5379. Also notice the difference in stance between the before and after photos of the car.  That car has 245x60-15s all around on stock 7" rims.  

When I rebuilt the front suspension the year before, I installed new Moog 6330s only to discover that the same spring was already in there (part number is stamped into the spring).

BTW both of these topics have been discussed in considerable length and depth over the past year so it would be worth your time to do some topic searches of the forum section to find similar threads. There is quite a bit of data available on the various front and rear springs that were installed in first gen Montes that you can compare to similar specifications on OEM springs.  It is almost intuitive that an OEM spring that claims to work on dozens of different car models and years, if not body types, is not going to be the optimal spring in many of those cases.  If you have a Build Sheet for your Monte, it will at least tell you the exact spring codes (in Box 13 for front and Box 14 for rear) that your Monte left the factor with.  Even if the original springs have already been replaced, you will still know the specs of the springs that the factory installed and you can use that to shop for new springs.  Good luck.

post-567-0-21175200-1487291876_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-60183900-1487291902_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-61446300-1487291930_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-99036000-1487292015_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-70852500-1487292693_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-60488900-1487292308_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-16284600-1487292331_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-83578800-1487292343_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-90589600-1487292441_thumb.jpg

Vintique Wheels have the "5 backspacing. I hope I spelled it right. some one will chime in if not. The Cargo springs alone will give it the right look. Moog is the manufacturer.Steve Lavoie knows the number of them.

Jim

picture shows them. they don't go down with any amount of weight you put in the car and the don't ride rough either. plenty of room for p275/60 -15's too!!
  • Like 1

Hey guy's thanks for all the great feedback !!!!

420ponies & Rock... yes found them on Submmit Vintiques 15X8 with 5" backspacing... ordered a pair along with the Moog CC501 cargo spring... I'm not a light guy and with the wife and some stuff in the trunk like a small tool box and folding chairs and such figured I better go with the cargo springs..

I also ordered a pair of 1" spacers for good measure.. LOL

Hey MCfan/Dennis I so appreciate your responses.. you are one detailed oriented dude !!  Just like me .....   and it's very much appreciated... the photos are great add too !!!

I'm going to go with the 235/60 15 front on the stock rim and 255/60 15 on the rear with the new 15X8" rims... my rear end is a peg-leg with 2:73 and the bigger 275 will really kill me.... I figure for now I can roll on the 255/60's until I burn them off or install an posi unit..have my eye on an original gm unit on ebay that's for a 12 bolt with a 3 carrier... probably will go to a 3:23 or something like that... I don't want a drag car but a quick cruiser..

I also ordered a pair of boxed trailing arms (original type) with rubber bushings as I want to add a rear anti sway bar and also orderd the top rubber replacement bushings ... how tough are those to change out... ??

I figured while I am add it do it all... 

It's going to be like Christmas for me this upcoming week...    :yay:

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting all my stuff except my new tires Friday and started on my rear end upgrade. Got 2 15X8" with the 5" offset rallies, the Moog cargo springs, 1' spacers, boxed trailing arms, new shocks and a UPI 1" anti sway bar kit. Had a hell of a time removing the upper shock bolts as I posted with help and guidance needed on those but got it all done tonight, I'm just waiting for my Cooper GT Cobras to arrive to get them mounted and drop her down.... here are some photos of the job. Will post some when I mount the tires and drop her.

post-5401-0-32058900-1488344835_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-16662000-1488344877_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-38991200-1488344900_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-29866000-1488344919_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-24610500-1488344961_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-12170000-1488345035_thumb.jpg

Wow, Mike, you made a lot of changes in a short period of time - should tighten up your rear suspension a lot.  How difficult was it to remove the upper control links and replace the bushings?  I neglected to do that when I installed my rear sway bar so I have no experience to relate to.  Thanks.

Hey Dennis thanks,

I bought the rubber replacements bushings in thought to do them also but they looked in good shape, not cracked or dry so I figured I would leave that project for when I have the rear end pulled to install a posi in the near future.... trying to find a friend with a lift for that project..  :2beers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mcfan, awesome link on your coil spring install, great instructions and pics, it well help me a lot when I do my coil and shocks replacement. You said you put air bags in your 70' I also have a 70' and I want to air bag it, do you have any tips or suggestions on a system to buy?. I want to be able to lift and lower the front and rear with two toggle switches under the dash, I don't plan on having side to side.

We have the Ride-Tech Shockwave system, and could not be happier. Polished Dual compressors and polished 7 gal tank It is fully adjustable. Our particular system is designed for autocross and a co-pilot (which will never be used) Sure is nice though

Michael, wow, thanx for telling me about "ridetech" they have awesome setups, but the cheapest one I found on summit the "shockwave level 2" system is $5,800 a little out of my price range rite now, my current budget for air bags/suspension is around $2,500 maybe I need to wait unteIl I get more funds, unless anyone can recommend a system for my price range.