Replicating 1st Gen Burlwood

McCall72

Hi folks, I wanted to let you know that I recently was able to replicate the 1st gen MC burlwood pattern while working on an aftermarket gauge project. Fairly simple project here's what you'll need:

1. Rustoleum Dark Brown Satin or flat if you can find it.

2. Testor's or another brand of dull coat clear.

3. MyDipKit.com DK 32-10 Burlwood Grain pattern.- I bought the kit that comes with the transfer film, scotchbrite pad, gloves, mask, activator, primer, and base color. You don't need their base paint as it is too light for this project. I bought their kit on ebay, but if you have stuff like primer and sanding material already all you really need is their transfer film and activator. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121890986162?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

IMG_20170224_091128_zpsycqh56v8.jpg

Here's what I started with- a plain black bezel for the gauges:

IMG_20170222_141817_zpsjp5viym7.jpg

You'll want to take a scotch brite pad and scuff your surface and then primer. Once your primer has dried, lightly scuff it and then coat with your Rustoleum Dark Brown paint and let it dry thoroughly.

Next is the hydra dipping process. Rather than type out how to do it, here is a video on how its done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5CgKUiEi8

Once you've rinsed the part and let it dry, you'll need to coat it with a light coat of dull coat clear-the dull coat will match the sheen of the original burlwood insert in the dash.

Here is the finished product:

IMG_20170224_090744_zpswwe0slfp.jpg

IMG_20170224_090730_zps6snhtvea.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice work. That turned out great. Thanks for sharing.  That is so cool make me want to order some now. I could see  doing my aluminum pickup wheels that have been damaged by salt with that. Bead blast them an have at it. I could see that skull design on a woodgrain dash panel of a customized Monte Carlo. I give this a thumbs up.

• Like 2

I purchased my gauge pod from a guy on a Pontiac site because I had no idea the burlwood kit was available. Yours looks great and I sure would have done it myself had I known where to get the material. Looks factory for sure.

post-147-0-12895900-1488192253_thumb.jpg

• Like 1