Right chrome mirror

tom71

My 71 Monte has been in the family since it was purchased and I have had it since 1973!  I thought it was time to add the right side mirror.  I came across Bruce Stange's write-up and it is excellent.  I wish I would have followed this procedure step by step but I didn't.  I purchased product code PZ00432 from OPGI which said it was for the 71 Monte.  However the mirror I received is quite different than the original driver's side mirror on the car.  I wish I could post pictures but that's another story.  I'll call Ausley's later and hope they have the ROM702R mirror.  Lesson learned.

Tom

Yet another experience to add to the long list of bad experiences many of us have had dealing with OPGI.  

I haven't ordered from them in several years and don't intend to anytime soon.  My worst ordering experience involved some window crank handles and the plastic washers behind them.  When I politely pointed out to them that the pictures of the two window cranks (clear knobs or black knobs) did not match the part number descriptions in their on-line catalog so I wasn't sure which part number I should order, they got very indignant with me and said the same picture was often used for different part numbers.  When I pointed out to them that they actually had both pictures but they were not shown with the correct part description, they really got defensive and upset with me.  As it turned out, I ordered by description and got what I wanted but they never did correct the pictures in their on-line catalog, to my knowledge.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the worst part of that particular order experience but I hope I've made my point. Caveat emptor!

Morris Concepts has the best mirrors for our cars. They are a little bit more than the other but they are a whole lot better. I bought some from The Parts Place and they started not holding position within a few months. Then bought a set from Ausley's with the same result. Both of these looked good but did not stand up the bouncing around the roads gave me and my 72. The Morris Concepts have been on the car for 3 years and still are very good. Two trips to Carlisle PA, Norwalk & Piqua OH last summer plus the many many trips all across Indiana and not one problem. They also have two screws on the back side so you can tighten them up if they do loosen.

I ordered the ROM702R mirror from Ausley's.  It arrived yesterday.  Unfortunately it is quite big and is not identical to the original driver;s side mirror.  The write-up on Ausley's web site says "Matching Remote Mirror".  I specifically asked for the ROM702R non-remote mirror.  Is there a size difference between the remote and non-remote mirrors?  The original mirror has about a 1/4 inch frame around the mirror while the new one from Ausley's is about an inch wide.  They just don't match. I'll be calling Ausley's again this morning but was looking from some input here to make sure I should expect a mirror that is identical to the drivers side mirror.  Thanks guys.

Tom

Tom,

Can you E-Mail me a picture of each one? I can post them for you if that helps.

My right mirror glass won't hold it's position when ever we shut the door. Made in China I bet!

Bruce

stangeba at gmail.com

Here is my Right (Passenger Side) mirror

post-76-0-36016300-1488465222_thumb.jpg

My right mirror glass won't hold it's position when ever we shut the door. Made in China I bet!

Bruce, unless your right side mirror is remotely controlled, I had a similar problem with my right side sport mirror.  Mark (Wallaby) suggested a clever solution that has worked for me,  If you can reach any part of the "ball" (assuming it has a ball and socket adjustment mechanism) with either a manual or spring-loaded center punch, you can "stipple" the mating surface in several places.  That raises enough proud material to increase the resistance in the joint to keep the mirror in place during normal door operations.  I can do it on my sport mirror by moving the mirror to maximum travel in several directions.  Looks like the housing on your mirror may keep you from reaching the ball surface unless you somehow disassemble it first.

Bruce and all:

Well I think old Tom has had a senior moment.  I should have read Bruce's instructions better.  I ordered and received, exactly the right mirror.  I received a non remote (remote look alike).  What I wanted was an original plain old mirror.  I do not have a remote mirror on the driver's side.  I returned the remote mirror look alike this morning and ordered the plain old mirror, Ausley's code OM702.  

I am sure Bruce's instructions will be the same for this much smaller mirror.  Thanks,

Tom

Thanks Dennis, I will give that a try.

Bruce