Rear shock removal / Help

MAQ's72

So I started my rear suspension revamp with new springs, new boxed trailing arms, sway bar and new shocks and I'm extremely frustrated with the engineer that thought of just using a bolt and a nut on the upper shock mount (2 studs would have been nice)There is very little space to work with on the drivers side but manage to remove and remount new shocks w springs and trailing arms and all that ... but the passenger side... wow... what the secret guy's?????? 

The hard brake lines go next to the mounting frame and I have not been able to get a tool in there to keep the nut from spinning, I am using and air ratchet with 1/2 socket and extension on the bolt side.. that's easy but have tried a mini wrench, a agleled cupped pliers a screw drive to wedge but nothing gets that nut on the top to keep from spinning....  what am I missing... any advice would be appreciated before I torch or cut the damn bolt off....

post-5401-0-02394100-1488246796_thumb.jpg

Try taking a flare nut wrench heat it and bend it to 90 deg. Then you can weld another wrench as an extension onto the flare nut wrench so you can hold onto it. You may also have to grind the end of the flare wrench end to reduce the thickness. It is a P I T A but it worked for me. I have the tool I used somewhere in the tool box I will try to find it and send a photo.

John S

I guess I'm not alone, I feel a little better at least.. 2 good alternatives, I will head to the auto parts tomorrow and try to find a 1/2" distributor clamp wrench.. that would be the easiest to try first... din't think about that one.. John, your option would be next we have a maintenance shop at work I can get some welding done if I need to....  a custom made wrench is what i thought I would need to come up with too. 

Thanks !!

When I replaced my shocks last year they came with nuts that had a slight knurled effect and built in washer. Got them finger tight and then used the air ratchet to finish up. My son in-law also took some masking tape and put over the nut to keep it in place until the bolt got started. 

Well, I like to thank you all for the good ideas and Inspiration. After another 1 1/2 hours playing with it today I was able to get it to grab with an off-set wrench I bought today at O'reilly's among some other things like the distributor wrench that I would have to heat up and bend as it did not want to lay in there just right ( I needed one anyways). I will be honest I brought out my angle grinder and was about to cut it when I gave it one last shot and the socket grabbed that pesky nut... halleluja ... :yay:

So I got inspired and finished her up.... 

post-5401-0-45785600-1488344125_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-34766300-1488344194_thumb.jpg