NOS vs reproduction

sredmyer

Very new to this and looking for some insight and direction.

Is there a reason why we would search out NOS (or used in excellent shape) parts rather than use the readily available reproduction parts?

If the reasons are that reproductions do not make our car truly "correct", are there any reproduction parts that "ok" to use if the goal is a "correct" car? 

I think most of the interior parts and exterior trim is available as reproduction as are things like floor pans, but are the exterior metal parts (bumpers, fenders, doors, hoods trunk lids) available?  If so, is there any issue using those or should we prefer to find good (or repairable) used parts whenever possible?  If the later, how do we determine that the part is original metal and not a reproduction piece bought and installed previously?

Finally, on a somewhat different topic, can someone tell me what I should be looking for on the wheels of my 1970 SS454 to determine if they are original or not.

Thanks

I have lots of repro parts on my car, mine isn't a numbers matching SS either. My lower trim,dash,dash instruments,front bumper,rear quarters are all reproduction and there is nothing wrong with any of it. The only thing I bought NOS for was the wheel well trim. NOS parts are expensive but if you want an original numbers matching car that's the route you may have to take. Overdrive is doing a frame off restro and is using NOS parts as much as possible, you may want to talk to him.

While my car is a numbers matching SS, I am trying to decide what is the value of sticking with NOS (or excellent condition used) over reproduction parts. 

Do the reproduction parts actually detract from the value of the restoration? 

Would two cars, restored to showroom original condition, which are equal in all respects, save for one being restored with all OEM parts while the other was done with reproduction parts, have different actual values? 

If they would in fact have different values, how does one know whether the parts on a car are original or reproduction parts?

Again, I am VERY new to this whole bit and if reproduction parts do in fact somehow detract from the value, I want to understand why. 

Is it just something to brag about or are the original parts actually superior in some way? 

A very good way to determine the quality of the reproduction part, such as the lower trim on the windshield, would be to hold them both out straight and watch the repop bend and touch the floor. Repop is nowhere near the quality of the original pieces. It's all in what you want. Also A lot of the trim repops are made in Tiawan

• Like 1

I think if you held a NOS part up to a reproduction part you would see some differences. I know the the lower trim is lower quality than original. But in the end it may be just bragging rights. I know the rocker trim I bought as repop was slightly thinner than NOS. I know the repop wheel well trim isn't the same quality. If you are making a trailer queen for car shows I would spend the money for NOS, if you building a car to drive and enjoy, use what you can find.

A very good way to determine the quality of the reproduction part, such as the lower trim on the windshield, would be to hold them both out straight and watch the repop bend and touch the floor. Repop is nowhere near the quality of the original pieces. It's all in what you want. Also A lot of the trim repops are made in Tiawan

I also would highly recommend if not going NOS to consider having your trim reconditioned. Pro-one polishing in Hobart Indiana has done many pieces for us with show winning results

Quality is not as good in many cases.

Does your car have Rally Wheels or what?

I believe there are stamping numbers on the wheels but don't know that for sure, or what they may be for, date / mfg plant?

(THIS SENTENCE IS WRONG, SORRY, Bruce

I believe first gen Monte Carlos used 6" Rally wheels not 7", if rally wheels were ordered.)

The rally's on my 71 (Non-SS, darn) are original.

My friend got his 71 SS new after I got my 71 and he had 6" 7" Rally's, like mine.

I believe G-70X15 single thin stripe WSW tires were required, if rally's were ordered.

Bruce

Edited by stangeba

If your goal is to keep as closely to stock as practical to maintain/increase value, go with NOS where you can or as suggested, refurbish what you have or buy RePop's if no alternative.  This approach if primary is to maintain/increase value.  The only argument I have against aftermarket is fitment, quality issues.  

If your goal is to have a nice driver, use whatever makes sense to you at that time.  It is true you can sink big dollars into these cars trying to make them Show Room again.  Just depends on your goals.  :)

Have fun with it, which ever way you go.  

Doug

Sorry everyone!

I just went and measured, I was WRONG!

I was thinking of the wider 8" wheels that had different trim rings.

Bruce

I also would highly recommend if not going NOS to consider having your trim reconditioned. Pro-one polishing in Hobart Indiana has done many pieces for us with show winning results

Thank you for that...I was just about to ask about reconditioning...who does it and how do the costs compare. 

So now I got the who does it, can you tell me how the cost compares to NOS or reproduction?

I am sure this is true for the small parts (ie. trim) but is it also true for the larger parts...fenders, doors quarters, hoods, etc.?

I am sure that for the larger parts, you will encounter fitment issues. If not NOS, I would still go with refurbished fenders, doors,and any other pieces that I could find original. The quality of the original pieces are unmatched by any aftermarket parts. And will not effect the true value of such a car as you have