Under Hood Paint?

JUBAL

I'm new to the forum so I need some simple questions answered.  I am getting ready to paint my 72 M.C.  It was bought for my son 23 years ago, and it was fixed then.  I have since bought it back and have everything off the car now ready for paint with new quarters.  Mohave Gold with Antique white top.  350.  bench seat.

Under the hood, was it black? Overspray of the body color?  Or was it body color with overspray over the factory coating on the underside of the hood?  Or should there be no overspray?

Thanks for the help.

Jerry welcome, to answer your question it would be black from the factory with the outside paint carried to the edge of the hood where it sits against the fender. Once the under side of the hood is paint and you put the sound or heat pad back on the hood no one would know if it's body color or black.

Thanks.  I saw that it was black under the insulation which I replaced once and am doing it again, but I did notice what looked like factory color overspray under the nose and a small amount on the sides.  I'll go with semi-gloss black and repaint the entire underside to cover up the surface rust after I get rid of it.

When we redid my 72 3 years ago we used SEM Trim Black (part #39143) on the underside of the hood, I also used it on my heater box as I did not care for the gray fiberglass showing and most of the firewall was also done when I had the motor out 5 years ago.