12 bolt

Looking at a couple 12 bolts over the weekend - one is BOP out of a cutlass - it's 12 bolt posi - would it work on my car ? Should I stick with chevy 12 bolt ?

The other rear end im told is out of 70 chevelle - is there any way I can be positive it's chevelle and will fit my monte ? Thanks in advance - Phil

I would stick with the correct Chevy rear ends. Pretty sure the parts to rebuild the Chevy rear ends are cheaper and more readily available. For the 70 12 bolt, you can check the code on the forward side of the axle tube on the passenger side. This code will tell you what it is from. What gear ratio is the 70 rear end? Chevelle and Monte Carlo used the same rear ends. A 3:31 posi would be a CCF code for a 1970.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying a 12 bolt chevy with 4:10 it came out an Olds Cutlass that was being restored and getting a propper Olds rear end. Whats making me nervous now is I was about to order the Wilwood read disk conversion and I was told  to make sure the flange was same as pictured with the kit. On the Chevelle / Monte 12 bolt the flange tapers on top to a slight point.....My rear end has a square flange that does not taper....I tried posting pics but it says to big to upload

Can anyone help me out on this one ? Any pics of your flange or can someone let me know hat exactly to measure so I know this fits my car ?  Now I also have no clue what rear disk conversion to buy.